Barley prices set to rise.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snip
I think I will retire now.
Good! Posting whilst pissed is a good way to look like a complete prat.
So are you happy to remove yourself from the problem?
Well I choose not to add to the growing population. Its a pretty well established fact that any organism will bread until it consumes all the available resources, always results in a massive population crash, often in local extinction.
We are perhaps the only species with the option to prevent this fate, if we can use intelligence to overrule instinct.
Mark

Good! Posting whilst pissed is a good way to look like a complete prat.

Well I choose not to add to the growing population. Its a pretty well established fact that any organism will bread until it consumes all the available resources, always results in a massive population crash, often in local extinction.
We are perhaps the only species with the option to prevent this fate, if we can use intelligence to overrule instinct.
Mark

It think the correct term is twat.

Not only can you prevent this fate you can improve the survival prospects of the species by removing yourself from the system.

I'm actually not a liker of GM foods and especially not 1 organization owning over half the food crop seeds like Monsanto does.

But you guys are all too late - this from mid last year: and the trials started in 2014
https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/genetic-modification/what-new-gm-crops

And the CSIRO had an earlier licence to release GM barley but I haven't looked up what they were planning on doing.

Here's an explanatory edit on my anti GM ness.
I'm ok with new better strains of foods being developed that are pest resistant and perhaps crop heavier so farmers can keep farming.
I'm not ok with a corporation then taking ownership of it and being in a position of controlling what everyone grows.
I think everyone should stop planting lawns and start planting herbs and vegetables so they can provide some of their own fresh food.
I plant mainly heirloom vegetables to maintain some biodiversity and guess what I can collect the seeds and use them next year.
Ok I let my greenie out of the closet - I'll close the door now :)

Last edited:
Remember Monsanto in Canada “their” pollen blew on to neighbouring farms so they sued them for “stealing” their “property.
Bullshit.

So barley prices set to go up due to global warming it's time to let the GM boffins start playing around with barley, wheat they have done a brilliant job, some places that couldn't even grow wheat are now getting 2 crops a year, and it takes around 10 years to GM a species so it would be an ideal time to start on barley.
Have things gone too quiet for you over in the kegking/kegland threads?

Remember Monsanto in Canada “their” pollen blew on to neighbouring farms so they sued them for “stealing” their “property.
Bullshit.
Percy Schmeiser willingly and knowlingly cultivated a patented canola seed that had spread to his farm
He didn't just have it sitting on his farm and then was sued for it being there
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsanto_Canada_Inc_v_Schmeiser
Don't believe the bullshit spouted by Mercola et al.

Back