Barkeepers Friend

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adraine

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get barkeepers Friend?

i dont know maybe ask the local barkeeper...............or try a google search something might pop up

cheers: HBK

i dont know maybe ask the local barkeeper...............or try a google search something might pop up

cheers: HBK

Ive searched google and found some reviews & the us eBay site. But $47 postage for a $7 item is a bit steep.

You know I have looked & looked at these sites but do you think I could find it? Might go to OPSM

That's because it's not there. I'm after bar keepers friend a cleaning agent. Not a waiter friend or bottle opener...

Hi all just woundering if anyone has seen any of this stuff around recently? All online stores seem to be out of stock.

This what your After

they will allow pickup by appointment

If you look at the product description, you'll note they say it IS suitable for Hard Anodised Aluminium, and they also say it is NOT suitable for Hard Anodised Aluminium.
I emailed them, and they say it is NOT suitable for Hard Anodized Aluminum.

Not that there's too much Hard Anodised Aluminium in my brewery!

I am all stainless steel only Aluminum is the stand. Have only found one bad report. Some one used it on a sink and it didn't work to good now he gets water stains. But this looks the goods for stainless cookware.

I am all stainless steel only Aluminum is the stand. Have only found one bad report. Some one used it on a sink and it didn't work to good now he gets water stains. But this looks the goods for stainless cookware.

anyone who has problems with BKF on stainless is a dunce if you ask me,.it's almost impossible to get a bad result as long as you follow the instructions. Basically the steel is re-passivated and won't stain if you use this stuff.
The stuff is magnificent!!!

I bought several cans from KitchenwareDirect (no affil).

It was the only bad report I could find out of several forums I researched from. Looks like I will be sending to the states for some.

Before getting stuff shipped from the states - if it's for cleaning/passivating stainless - you could try a $1 pack of citric acid from the supermarket - I read somewhere that's what Bar Keepers Friend used to be made from before they changed to Oxalic acid (the cheapo-shop stainless cleaner I use is also made from Oxalic and citric acid and works great).

Before getting stuff shipped from the states - if it's for cleaning/passivating stainless - you could try a $1 pack of citric acid from the supermarket - I read somewhere that's what Bar Keepers Friend used to be made from before they changed to Oxalic acid (the cheapo-shop stainless cleaner I use is also made from Oxalic and citric acid and works great).

Will that stuff (cheapo shop stainless cleaner) passivate a weld and remove slight surface rust/pitting from stainless, so as to prevent tainting in a subsequent batch of beer?

Will that stuff (cheapo shop stainless cleaner) passivate a weld and remove slight surface rust/pitting from stainless, so as to prevent tainting in a subsequent batch of beer?
I've never needed to passivate a weld, so can't comment on that.
However, it's made from the same stuff (Oxalic acid - and some Citric Acid) as Bar Keepers Friend and picture-proof of it cleaning minor surface rust/pitting from stainless can be found on my blog here - if you really need it - I can take a picture of the same keg several brews later showing that it's still passivated. I also easily cleaned the deeper/older/more pitted years-old-rust from the exterior of the kegs (where they had been scrached, bashed and dented) with it, but did not bother taking photos.

It's the acids that perform the cleaning/passivating, not something magic in Bar Keepers Friend - which is why (commercial type breweries) rinse stainless equipment with an acid wash (5 Star make 6 acid wash/rince products) - especially after cleaning with caustic-type-products, and home brewers can use something like Saniclean (Phosphoric acid).

Thanks Wolfy shall give it a go if I can find some. :icon_cheers:

Back