Bargin Shopping At St Vinnies!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Reaction score
A mate and I went to two St Vinnies in Epping on the hunt for costumes for a party but instead stumbled across some beauties, Two leffe goblets, A hoegaarden glass, a duvall glass, a 1l DAB octoberfest glass stein and a ice bucket with whiskey lables on it. See Pic below. You would not belive the price for all of these...
DSC02012.JPG

-2x Leffe glasses - $1
-1x Hoegaarden Glass - 50c
-1x Duvall glass - 50c
-1x DAB Stein - $3.60
-1x Ice bucket - $4.00

Total $9.60!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top score Scotty!
Thats the reason I do all my glass shopping at those places.
I haven't yet picked up any like that though.

johnno

A man who shops where I do , I love to keep a look out in these type places.
I have found urns and all sort of brew stuff.

Never go past an op shop

Batz

Damb thats a handy find. What a pearler yer lucky coot.

Borret

I think I'll have to ask my nan to keep an eye out for me when she is at work :)

My girlfriend works across the road from one...
the most i've paid is $1... for:

Chimay
Boags
redback
J squires
Duvel
the list goes on...! worth the odd drop in for sure.!

Went back again and found another 1l glass stein, original oktoberfest for a tidy sum of $2.70.

Scotty

I found a heap of the pony glasses (170ml) in an op shop a few months back for the princely sum of $0.30 each!! needless to say I bought all they had as I find they are a great size and shape for a tasting glass, or if you have to drive for portion control!!

Cheers ausdb

Op shopping can be addictive.

Have seen some excellent gear for brewing in there.

For example, a hand operated meat mincer, brand new in box, with all the spare parts, $5. These will not do an ideal crush on your grain, but I am sure they will mash the grain up enough so that you could do a few mini mashes. No, I haven't tried it, but every home needs a hand mincer.

Food strainers, colanders, stainless steel trays, jugs, assorted tupperware and pressure cookers are all good brew gear to be found in op shops.

Besides the great glassware, don't forget bottle openers, the damn things seem to have a great habit of migrating out of sight under the car seat, to he back of the cutlery drawer, on top of the fridge, outside on the table etc. Having a few more stops that drawn out call, "Have you seen the bottle opener?" which really means where did you hide it this time.

I just scored a kettle for 8 bucks at the local vinnies. Its an old Linda one and you can just unscrew the element from the back and pull it out.
Im going to try and straighten the element and use it as the heat source for the RIMS system im building.

I bet all the op shops in Australia are getting a hammering by wide eyed homebrewers this weekend :lol:

Batz

Batz said:
I bet all the op shops in Australia are getting a hammering by wide eyed homebrewers this weekend :lol:

Batz
[post="71694"][/post]​

What, only on the weekend.? I visit at least twice a week whilst the missus is doing her shopping.

:chug:
PeterS....

PoL wrote:
Besides the great glassware, don't forget bottle openers, the damn things seem to have a great habit of migrating out of sight under the car seat, to he back of the cutlery drawer, on top of the fridge, outside on the table etc. Having a few more stops that drawn out call, "Have you seen the bottle opener?" which really means where did you hide it this time.

G'day PoL,
I have a way around that.
I hang my dear departed grandfather's old bottleopener off my keyring.
Whereever I am, my keys generally are - so is a bottleopener.
If you don't mind the looks people give you when they see you permanently carrying around an opener, your ok.

Rgds,
Pete

Latest posts

Back