Barclay Perkins 1936 Kkkk Water Treatment & Caramel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrenlw63

Just a Hoe
Reaction score
For those who love the historical slant on their British Ales. This is a good article. The comments section even more compelling. Some great contributions from Jeff Renner and Graham Wheeler.

It just heightens the fact that British brewers have been augmenting their beers with caramel flavours and colouring for many years.

Link

This has to be one of my favourite sites. The research, recipe dissection and relevant comments are awesome. :beer:

Enjoy.

Warren -

That's a great site Waz, good find.

The comment sections are gold.

Q

Yep it certainly puts some facts out in black and white Q. Loads of regular updates so it's worth checking on a daily basis as well.

Warren -

Interesting comments as you say. Always an intriguing read. For some reason I don't check it very often but this has prompted me to try to get to more of the articles on there.

That's an excellent read Warren, well done.

Interesting note there again about "brewers caramel," that its mainly used for colour, which would appear to strengthen the theory that TTL must use a particular specified kilning of their GP malt, the malt flavour obviously has to be coming from somewhere.

Couldn't imagine at a guess that brewers caramel could deliver that amount of flavour alone.

Good stuff,
BB

Interesting note there again about "brewers caramel," that its mainly used for colour, which would appear to strengthen the theory that TTL must use a particular specified kilning of their GP malt, the malt flavour obviously has to be coming from somewhere.

Couldn't imagine at a guess that brewers caramel could deliver that amount of flavour alone.

Good stuff,
BB

Thanks BB. Sounds in a similar vein to the varying degrees of colour and flavour you get with Belgian candi syrup.

If I can remember where it is there's a link to an English website who manufacture the caramel and invert syrups. The variation in the products they sell will astonish you.

Warren -

Thanks BB. Sounds in a similar vein to the varying degrees of colour and flavour you get with Belgian candi syrup.

If I can remember where it is there's a link to an English website who manufacture the caramel and invert syrups. The variation in the products they sell will astonish you.

Warren -

I just don't see the flavours in ttlpa coming from the caramel though, to my mind they taste like mildly kilned malts like amber/biscuit. My next attempt at something in that ballpark will probably use some of the aforementioned...

Have you had a go at making something similar waz? how did it turn out?
BTW how did that bairds perle treat you? i've heard it's good value.

Q

Here's the UK distributor guys Ragus

Q... I've made some candi sugar from Beet and Jaggery and both seemed to turn out rather nicely.

Oh and yes, the Pearl malt is lovely! I've got a bottle of the resultant bitter set aside for you. To me it has the flavours I was expecting in Baird's GP but that did not transpire. I think that Pearl is a really lovely malt that is little more versatile than Maris Otter.

Warren -

ha - hilarious seeing ron head to head with graham wheeler (whose stuff he has panned in the past)

this makes my upcoming imperial stout that im making with dark2 candi syrup all the more interesting

ha - hilarious seeing ron head to head with graham wheeler (whose stuff he has panned in the past)

this makes my upcoming imperial stout that im making with dark2 candi syrup all the more interesting

Yep, Graham Wheeler appears to have some "definite" beliefs about how traditional things should be doesn't he? I think the card carrying CAMRA thing may extend further than we think. :lol:

NM Are you aiming for something similar to Sinha Stout?

Warren -

Yep, Graham Wheeler appears to have some "definite" beliefs about how traditional things should be doesn't he? I think the card carrying CAMRA thing may extend further than we think. :lol:

NM Are you aiming for something similar to Sinha Stout?

Warren -

you mean he's a card carrying something else as well?

i have no idea what im aiming for other than something black and 8-9%! perhaps closer to hercules stout from belgium, but they use all malt and belgian yeast. A belgian influenced stout you might say. i'm throwing this candi stuff+ special B into a slightly less aggressive imperial stout than usual (compared to the last imperial stout I made - the 1856 Barclay Perkins IBSt with 300g of EKG for bittering)

Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil: 23.00 l Wort Volume After Boil: 17.00 l
Volume Transferred: 17.00 l Water Added To Fermenter: 0.00 l
Volume At Pitching: 17.00 l Volume Of Finished Beer: 17.00 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.057 SG Expected OG: 1.086 SG
Expected FG: 1.021 SG Apparent Attenuation: 74.1 %
Expected ABV: 8.7 % Expected ABW: 6.8 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 51.8 IBU Expected Color: 57.2 SRM
Mash Efficiency: 75.0 % Approx Color:
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 18 degC

Fermentables

Fawcetts Halcyon Malt 5.01 kg 80.7 % In Mash/Steeped
UK Roasted Barley 0.50 kg 8.1 % In Mash/Steeped
Dingemans Special B 0.20 kg 3.2 % In Mash/Steeped
Dark2 Candi Syrup 0.50 kg 8.1 % In Boil

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount Form When
UK Challenger 6.1 60 g Pelletized Hops 90 Min From End
Yeast
White Labs WLP013-London Ale

Good stuff,
BB

I caramelised 2L of my runnings down to 300ml and might risk going further, for my latest TTL and it's definitely added some nice colour. With my other 'holy grail' which is Camerons Strongarm Bitter, I've been following Graham Wheeler's book and using Dark Crystal and Carafa 3. However a brewer from that area on Jim's Beer Kit, UK, states that Camerons use caramel and I'll definitely go the wort boiling exercise next time, or even get some caramel on the web and give that a whirl.

I caramelised 2L of my runnings down to 300ml and might risk going further, for my latest TTL and it's definitely added some nice colour. With my other 'holy grail' which is Camerons Strongarm Bitter, I've been following Graham Wheeler's book and using Dark Crystal and Carafa 3. However a brewer from that area on Jim's Beer Kit, UK, states that Camerons use caramel and I'll definitely go the wort boiling exercise next time, or even get some caramel on the web and give that a whirl.

Bribie.

I have twice now boiled down 10L of first runnings from 100% GP malt into a syrup it took over 2 hours, it became so dense that constant stirring was nessecary toward the end to avoid burning and boilover.

I then add water back up to 10L and then boiled as normal with the rest of the collected sparge runnings.

Yes it added colour, but was still paler than a standard lager and yes it also added a nice flavour, but nowhere near that of TTL.

Cheers,
BB

Back