Bar Font Chilling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigAl

Reaction score
Guys,

A question for those with flooded bar fonts.

I have a four tap bar font (bought from Doc a while back, great font thanks doc :p ) which has lines so that it can be flooded with some sort of chiling medium. (see pic)

I currently dont have anything connected to the font chilling lines on the font, so its warm beer for the first couple of pours :(

I plan to put a reservoir of water in the keg fridge to pump through the font and back into the reservoir.
My question is what sort of pumps do people use? I was thinking of a cheapo pond type pump, but ive found most of the low flowrate pumps have a very low head ~1m. To get a reasonable pressure you need to buy a larger pump which then has a very high flow rate. I would like to find something than has a low flow rate but reasonable pressure, maybe a diaphram pump or similar. I really dont want to pump water through at 1000Lph!

Has anyone out there come up with something do take on this duty?

Cheers.

IMGP2142.JPG

Hey BigAl,

The font looks great. Pleased it worked out for your install.
In my font I use an Eden 114 140 600litre/hour 11w Pond pump.

Bought from a irrigation store but you can get it online here

It is variable flow rate and I have it set on nearly the minimum. My head from the reservouir to taps is probably about 1-1.5 meters.

Beers,
Doc

Thanks Doc, will look into that one.
Very happy with the font, just need to find 3 more taps now :lol:

Cheers.

not sure if it is good to use yet but i got windscreen washer motors for $4 and so far it pumps it heaps of liquid in the 6mm line, and its head hight is fine! over 2m so far. However these are low duty cycle motors, not sure if it is due to heat in the windings or what, but i turn mine on for a few sec say 10, then off, as the chilled water takes a while to transfer the heat, then back on... however this is onlt 2 days old so time will tell and i expect it should not last long, and at $4 its not a worrie since i have them....

Latest posts

Back