Banana smell

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1149913

Reaction score
Hey guys, brewed a JSGA a few weeks ago and bottled it on saturday. I noticed that there was a definite banana smell kicking about in the fermenter. The beer certainly wasn't off and tasted fine but i couldn't help but notice the strong banana smell.

Is this just an attribute of the 1056 yeast or have i done goofed during the brewing stage?

Thanks, Jacob

The banana smell in cider is isoamyl acetate, produced in primary fermentation but usually breaks down with ageing. I don't know if you can get it in beer, if so it might be due to the yeast.

as Greg said its - isoamyl acetate. It is very common ester in beer - definately yeast related.

1056 shouldn't throw Banana-y smell, usually you get that with most of the wheatbeer yeasts

A lot of yeasts will push banana if brewed a tad too warm (or warmer than necessary if you're not chasing banana anyway).

bum said:
A lot of yeasts will push banana if brewed a tad too warm (or warmer than necessary if you're not chasing banana anyway).
Cool didn't know that :icon_cheers: good to know

Some say it is more to do with a warm pitch rather than ferment. Have a bit of a read before you take it as gospel.

interesting. It did ferment slightly on the warmer side (20C) but not anything extreme. I'll see how it turns out in a few weeks.

J

Have you done any wheat or belgians lately? Those super-yeasts can get in there and due to their vigour, contaminate the hell out of a beer.

I recently brewed a phenolic pilsner that I now strongly believe was phenolic due to 3522 contamination in the starter (reusing yeast containers). Tasted like a Wit.

With cider I get rid of the isoamyl acetate by doing a secondary malolactic fermentation, so if you add some brett or lactobacillis it might help. That smell can be pretty intrusive.

As a side topic which might end up being related, my last brew was a failed CPA. It turned out like sparkling cider/vinegar. I'm not convinced it was primary fermentation/yeast as from what i remember it tasted fine out of the fermenter. I think it might have had something to do with racking/bottling process.

Is it usually infection that turns beer into that weird off/cidery taste or a floor in the brewing process?

J

Jacob Thomas said:
As a side topic which might end up being related, my last brew was a failed CPA. It turned out like sparkling cider/vinegar. I'm not convinced it was primary fermentation/yeast as from what i remember it tasted fine out of the fermenter. I think it might have had something to do with racking/bottling process.

Is it usually infection that turns beer into that weird off/cidery taste or a floor in the brewing process?

J
Elementary, dear Watson.

Nick JD said:
Elementary, dear Watson.
"...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1892), by Arthur Conan Doyle

Nick JD said:
Elementary, dear Watson.
Elementary indeed is my brewing assistant. No regard for sanitation which is makes me uneasy considering he was a dentist for the good part of 40 years.

Latest posts

Back