Banana Malt Bread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCHammo

Reaction score
Has anyone had a go at making Banana Malt bread? I had a bit of an epiphany while digging through a freezer full of frozen bananas, beer goodies and bread. There doesn't seem to be any mention of it here, and a google web search didn't turn up the sort of results I was looking for.

What I was wondering about was making a banana bread with some brewing grains - whole and/or cracked, and maybe throw in a little spent grain, too. Any pointers on where to start, or what grains to use? I was thinking of taking a standard banana bread recipe and adding/subbing in something like dark Munich/CaraMunich for some of the plain flour and sugar. Any reason why this wouldn't work? Would I be better off just throwing in some malt extract? Criticism welcomed.

I made some malt loaf the other day.

Seemed to go stale quickly (maybe it was the milk and margarine in the recipe?) but quite tasty and I'd like to use the same or a similar recipe for making hot cross buns this easter. Used dry malt extract.

Banana malt bread sounds especially delicious. With those recipes it's often baking powder or bicarbonate of soda that is the leavening agent and wheat forms the base flour. You could also try a sprouted grain bread (the barley becomes malted during the cooking!)

This!

There are plenty of other recipes out there, I went for the ones that actually specified malt extract as I thought recipes with Ovaltine/Milo/maltesers were cheating. I'm pedantic like that.

My impressions of malt loaf is dark, moist and sticky, we used to have it every Saturday tea time, my mother used malt extract, I was under the belief that Ovaltine was around before malt extract.

Ovaltine was introduced in 1904.

Malt extract has been around since at least the mid 1800s as a "strengthening medicine" for children. There was a pharmaceutical standard for it published in 1907. It was very popular as a cheap supplement for working class kids in the UK who had diets deficient in vitamins and minerals.

It was also popular with Kangas as a tonic for Roos and is famous as what tiggers like to eat.

Edit - Ovaltine also contains malt extract so malt extract necessarily pre-dates ovaltine.

My impressions of malt loaf is dark, moist and sticky

*Drools in manner of Homer*

Malt is a good all round cooking ingredient really. Good sweetener, great substitute for sugars or syrups. (And, as we know, great base sugar for a certain fermented beverage of worldwide renown). I definitely want to give the dark-moist malt loaf recipes a try though.

I used to love places that did malted milkshakes - very hard to find now (aside from the commercially-distributed Oak Vanilla Malt flavoured milk). But it's a really delicious combination.

My dad said he used to be fed it by the spoon full along with cod liver oil,Ovaltine was available in 1904 so it has been around a long time. Getting back to recipes, I have searched for a recipe which will replicate McVities Jamaican Ginger cake, also moist and sticky any body with something for that.

wide eyed and legless said:
My dad said he used to be fed it by the spoon full along with cod liver oil,
Yep... made the cod liver oil taste a bit less like cod liver oil. Plus it had some vitamins and minerals its self.

I have often debated with my mother why I drink so much (according to her) my mother blames my father for giving me sips of beer when I was younger. I told my mother it was all her fault for giving me porridge EVERY morning, Horlicks every night and the Malt loaf every Saturday tea time after having barley and malted barley rammed down my throat of course I am going to see beer as a continuance of what I was fed.

Made a gingerbread recently with malt instead of brown sugar (and a spot of mead also) - recipe here.

Yesextremelysuspicious!

But it works. Not spam. Should read: '1940's experiment'. Not '1940 sexperiment'.

Ok, so I grabbed 250gm cracked Munich II from the LHBS to experiment with. Got my first attempt in the oven as I speak. I took a basic banana bread recipe (this one), reduced the brown sugar to 1/4 cup, and added 1/2 cup (~50 grams) cracked Munich II. Also removed the cinnamon on this occasion. Will report back on how it goes. Smelling delicious.

Cracked Munich malt? Was wondering if you were going to pulverise it to a flour. Are you trying to get a little bit of starch to sugar conversion in the oven, adding to the sweetness of the banana and brown sugar, or just a bit of grainy texture? Cool, anyway.

I was hoping for a little texture, a little sweetness, a bit of maltiness... I think that means I'm not entirely sure. I've never even made banana bread myself, so I have no idea how the base recipe comes out. I think after having a taste of this batch, I'll have a much better idea of where I am, and where I want to be.

I thought about pulverising the munich, but passed on this occasion. Maybe next time.

I guess I'm a little freaked out by eating largish amounts of pre-malted grain. The texture is pleasantly crunchy but also a bit sharp in your mouth. I just wonder if similar effects couldn't be achieved with a sprouted grain loaf.

Well, results are in from the first batch. Pretty tasty. I'm getting a bit of the malt flavour coming through, but it's maybe a bit more subtle than I'd like.

I like the additional texture that comes through from the bits of cracked grain all through the bread, so I'm keeping that in.

I'm thinking next time I'll replace the plain flour with an equal quantity of Munich II flour, and omit the sugar altogether. There's plenty of sugars coming from the malt and banana.

What I will make next time:

1 cup self raising flour
1/2 cup Munich II, flour
1/2 cup Munich II, cracked
125g butter, melted, cooled
2 eggs, whisked
3 bananas (ripe), mashed

Mix dry ingredients. Whisk eggs and butter together, stir though banana, then mix through with dry ingredients.
Spoon into 110x210x60mm loaf pan, and place into pre-heated 180 C oven for 45-50 mins (inserted skewer should come out clean), turn out onto wire tray.

Might have a go at this on the weekend.

Latest posts

Back