Banana Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver

Silver
Reaction score
I am wanting to try something different but only have experience doing standard AG ales. I would like to make a beer with a pleasant punch of banana. If anyone has had success doing something like this, how did you go about it?

Thanks Silver

What type of banana flavour are you thinking?
Like, wheat beer yeast banana or young's banana bread type thing?

I have no idea about either of those. How do I get a banana flavour into a brew? Do i mash bananas and add them to the mash or put them into fermenter?

Well it depends on what flavour you want, but if you want a natural banana flavour you could try in the mash or boil. I have used pumpkin successfully in the mash, it was subtle but noticeable.

Hopefully some people with more fruit addition experience can help.

I wouldn't be putting an actual banana into the mash, boil or fermenter (but I'd like to hear from someone who has). Look at the wheat beers and the yeast that goes along with them. Depending on the yeast and the fermentation temp you'll get banana.

I saw a video (youtube) about making banana beer in one on the African(?) nations. Mash, let ferment naturally for a few days, filter out and drink till pissed. It was done under sanitary conditions of course.

Yeast recultured from a Coopers bottle is known to push banana aromas and flavours, even if you add other flavorings (or bananas directly) you might like to ferment with their yeast.

I am wanting to try something different but only have experience doing standard AG ales. I would like to make a beer with a pleasant punch of banana. If anyone has had success doing something like this, how did you go about it? Thanks Silver
Ii
I recently bought a banana beer at 1st choice. Import section

A couple of years ago I dropped 3kg of very ripe bananas in a fermenter of a basic American Amber Ale on day 2 and left them for a further 5 days.
It was hopped with Amarillo, Cascade & Centennial. The aroma was intense, more than I expected, thinking the fermentation would drive off the aromatic oils. The flavour was more subtle but present, and, with the hops, came through as fruit salad.

Always been meaning to do a choc banana stout...

Go to Dan Murphy's and try a bottle of Young's Banana Bread Beer (too sweet for me), it will give you a better idea of how banana presents in beer.

Yeast recultured from a Coopers bottle is known to push banana aromas and flavours, even if you add other flavorings (or bananas directly) you might like to ferment with their yeast.

+1
I used US-05 in my Banana Ale but since then have I pushed a re-cultured Cooper's yeast to 22C in a dark mild and everyone picked banana in the aroma. No flavour though

midori-banana.jpg

last year I made several blonde ales using T58 yeast with various grain bills. I did one using 100% Joe White Export Pils and bittered with noble hops to around 24IBUs that came out pure banana. More banana than any hefe I've made.

1214 @20C + is daylight come and we wanna go home.

Really? Belafonte wrote that song about estery Abbey ales?

Work all night on a drink a'chimay
(Daylight come and he wan' go home)
Stack banana till thee morning come
(Daylight come and he wan' go home)

PM for recipe sent Clay. If I can make this one work I would love to have a go at a Banana Choc Stout as well, so If ya got a recipe for this one i'd like to hear from you.
Cheers
Silver

Back