Ban On Beer In Denmark

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Those crazy Copenhagen-ites. They must be one of the last workers still (well previously) allowed to drink on the job.
I believe this used to be a big thing in the steel industry in Eastern Europe.

Beers,
Doc

Beer ban spurs brewery strike
A beerdrinking ban on the job has 70 brewery workers in Sklskr on strike

A ban on drinking beer on the job caused seventy workers in the Harboes brewery to strike on Monday, television channel TV2 reported.

The brewers in the south Zealand town of Sklskr said the strike had been called in protest against the performance of their own representatives in wage negotiations with the brewery, but also because they had been forbidden to drink their own production while at work.

Ninety percent of a total of 200 brewery workers agreed on the strike. They planned to meet with their labour union later in the day to discuss the situation.

Don't blame them really. We call it quality control at Paddy's
Cheers
Gerard

Theres a thread about it with some of the danish guys on ratebeer:

"According to todays news, the brewworkers continue to strike at Harboe. They are only allowed to drink 6 beers in the restrooms during work, which is a limitation that around 90 of 200 workers cant live with. Well, personally I wouldnt have any problems with a limit on the numbers of Harboe beers, I was allowed to drink."

kook said:
Theres a thread about it with some of the danish guys on ratebeer:

"According to todays news, the brewworkers continue to strike at Harboe. They are only allowed to drink 6 beers in the restrooms during work, which is a limitation that around 90 of 200 workers cant live with. Well, personally I wouldnt have any problems with a limit on the numbers of Harboe beers, I was allowed to drink."
[post="60538"][/post]​

hahah yeah

Employees at the Harboes brewery are still striking after their employer demanded that they limit their drinking on the job to six beers a day

The Harboes Brewery has been left high and dry after efforts to limit beer-drinking on the job caused seventy workers to call a strike, daily newspaper Politiken reported.

The brewers in the south Zealand town of Sklskr did not realize that their bosses meant business until they turned up to work on Monday, and discovered that tasting their own production would not be tolerated.

The workers felt that the ban added insult to injury, as they had for some time been unable to conclude wage negotiations with their employers. They decided to go home in protest, slamming the brewery doors behind them.

Ninety percent of a total of 200 brewery workers agreed on the strike.

Drinking beer on the job is widely accepted in Denmark, where most workplace canteens sell beer during lunch hours.

Breweries, however, have kept a close eye on their workers' liking for the production for many years.

Denmark's largest brewery, Carlsberg, sets the limit at three bottles a day. Information officer Jens Bekke said most workers enjoyed their beer in the lunch break, and that the limit had been included in the wage agreement.

Back in the 1970s, however, there were no limits to how much brewery employees could drink on the job, and stories of brewers' binge drinking were innumerable. As Danish breweries grew scarcer and larger, however, they began to frown on their workers' drunkenness, and limitations to beer drinking were imposed.

Beers,
Doc

I was in a steel making plant in Austria about 7 years ago

The bloke with his hands on the controls of the whole show was happily sipping on a beer. Luckily he offered me one

These people have their priorities well sorted

Cheers

Back