Ballast Point Black Marlin Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
Im a slow convert to dark n hoppy, but i recently grabbed a growler of Hopdog Children of the darkness, which was bloody great. I grabbed the ballast point Porter the other day, and i cracked it today. Fucken great beer. Fucken great. This is kinda 80% porter, with a bit more hop flavour n aroma than most porters. Awesome. Im tempted to go back to dans and clear them out.

I found this to be a very ordinary beer.
My brew mate and I were having a tasting of the first AG we had brewed together. Split into 2 bottle runs, 1 straight and 1 with chocolate and vanilla in the priming liquid.

Both agreed our 1st stout attempt that was 1 month in the bottle made this stuff look very ordinary and the hops didnt do any good at all.
For me it was just another example of how the yanks think throwing ridiculous amounts or mixes of hops at any style they pick constitutes craft brewing.
$12 shot for shit.......

It was much better mixed as suggested on the label to make a 'black eye', though the only IPA I had around was a Vale IPA which I had grabbed by mistake.
Unfortunately 2 ordinary beers together do not make a great beer.

Yes quite nice I didn't find it very hoppy although I had been drinking IPA beforehand.

If you like Black Marlin I'm sure you will appreciate Zyweic Porter which tastes great and superb value for money. I thought the Ballast Point was a bit pricy for what is worth. I find it hard to beat Zyweic with its 9.5%ABV and great flavours.

Wow,i've had zwiec porter and I much prefer this. Im not surprised though, the SN Southern Harvest got very good reviews, but I didn't like it that much. We all have our own faves I guess !!. . A good excuse to fly over and try on tap haha. I didn't really notice much hop in the BP porter.

Back