Ballast Point Big Eye Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple of weeks ago I bought a six pack of Big Eye IPA from my local BWS outlet for 20 bucks. Quite impressed with this beer and the fact that it is on offer from BWS must be good for consumers. Dan Murphy might be getting some competition. Or is Dans and BWS owned by the same corparation.

Cheers Altstart

Yeah both are owned by woolworths :)

As is half the country.
Fuckers they are.

BWS has some pretty good value beer specials at times.

Dan's has a fair range but most of it is the same as they had a year ago. It would be good if they could get a bit enthusiastic and do some special imports. There has got to be the market there for it.

dammag said:
BWS has some pretty good value beer specials at times.

Dan's has a fair range but most of it is the same as they had a year ago. It would be good if they could get a bit enthusiastic and do some special imports. There has got to be the market there for it.
Unfortunately they don't give a shit about craft beer. Only what's popular at the moment.

slight grave dig :)

I was just curious if anyone did find a good recipe for this one?

Because I couldn't find anything I have come up with a start, which I'll try to brew in the next week or so... Keen to hear what others think of it :)
I was going by their website: http://www.ballastpoint.com/beer/big-eye/

My recipe does have a slightly lower ABV % but that doesn't worry me too much... If you wanted to match the 7% Ballast Point has, then I'd suggest adding some more 2-row

Bosco Big Eye IPA Clone
American IPA
Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 15.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.750
Total Hops (g): 70.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.068 (°P): 16.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.017 (°P): 4.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.68 %
Colour (SRM): 8.6 (EBC): 16.9
Bitterness (IBU): 70.6 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.500 kg American 2-Row (94.74%)
0.250 kg Crystal 60 (5.26%)

Hop Bill
----------------
15.0 g Magnum Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
20.0 g Centennial Pellet (9.7% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (1.3 g/L)
20.0 g Columbus Pellet (14.2% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (1.3 g/L)
15.0 g Centennial Pellet (9.7% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
3.0 g Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 19°C with Safale US-05

I'm guessing the Safale S-04 could be a good match too, with less fruity esters, what do you think?

Cheers
Martin

S-04 being an English Ale yeast will likely result in more fruity esters than the neutral us-05. s-04 is also a notorious staller, so with a big OG I'd stick with us-05, or even something like Wyeast 1272 in a proper starter.

thanks for the pointers, as well as links :)

I've removed the magnum and flipped the columbus hops towards the end instead of centennial.
Going by the links, it looks like a pretty good first guess at the recipe, point taken on the yeast (I had been told otherwise about the 04 yeast, so my understanding was a bit different)

Cheers
Martin

Bosco Big Eye IPA Clone
American IPA
Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 15.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.739
Total Hops (g): 70.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.068 (°P): 16.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.017 (°P): 4.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.68 %
Colour (SRM): 8.6 (EBC): 16.9
Bitterness (IBU): 70.8 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.500 kg American 2-Row (94.74%)
0.250 kg Crystal 60 (5.26%)

Hop Bill
----------------
15.0 g Columbus Pellet (14.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
20.0 g Centennial Pellet (9.7% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (1.3 g/L)
15.0 g Centennial Pellet (9.7% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
20.0 g Columbus Pellet (14.2% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1.3 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
3.0 g Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 19°C with Safale US-05

The other recipes do seem to add very little hops in the end, like mine is, but I think it'll bring a better aroma to the table than letting them boil for longer...
Will report back when I've brewed this one :) Also, if you meet 75% efficiency, you'll reach that 7%abv I've been a little up and down with that, so brew mate is just set to 70% as standard.

Cheers
Martin

I remember listening to the CYBI podcast about Ballast Point Calico Amber Ale and I think I remember the head brewer saying they used an English Ale yeast strain for all their ales? It's their proprietary strain now, but I think it started as a WLP002.

I definitely second a high late/whirlpool charge of Columbus, the Centennial seems background to the Columbus to me, I get more dank pineapple than anything else out of this beer, it's a good drink.

perhaps when I get my keggle up and running, I'll run a double batch through and pitch either yeast at the same time :) It'd be interesting to compare with a store bought one!

I just brewed this one up yesterday evening, I'd had the grain milled about a month ago, so I missed a couple of points of SG.
I also brewed out in the shed for the first time as the missus got me a gas burner to get me out of her kitchen :D No more, "there's sticky shit all over the floor" haha ;)

As I still haven't gotten an immersion chiller, I've decided to no chill this one.
To account for the massive changes in flavour profile from hop additions, I did the following:
FYI 15L Batch size

15g Columbus @ 20min
20g Centennial @ 5min
20g Columbus into the cube
15g Centennial into the cube

I've just made a yeast starter and hoping to pitch this evening or tomorrow morning.
Will let you know how it turns out :)

Cheers
Martin

Checked the fermentation yesterday, and racked to secondary.
It's sitting at 1.024 and according to brewmate needs to go to 1.017 so not too long to go. Pretty happy with how it has gone, as I used my first yeast harvest for it (us05) :)

Flavour-wise, its pretty close, but I would probably add a touch more bittering hops, perhaps at that 30 or 40 minute mark.

What's a good way to get this to clear up a bit before bottling, other than a cold crash? Gelatin?

Thanks for the link, that's a good read :) I'll follow that advice

Well, I took the gravity again, 1019, as the yeast is eating the remaining fermentable sugars, the hops flavours are getting more pronounced!
I'm really looking forward to making a comparison with the real version :)

well, this is now bottled, I ended up with an FG of 1.015, 2 points lower than BrewMate suggested.
I attribute this to the slightly (maybe half a degree) lower mash temp, but with the slightly lower efficiency and thus lower SG (1.064), I don't really mind. It works out to be a 6.42% beer, not quite the original 7%, but my recipe was only for a 6.7% beer, so I'm not too worried.

I'll report back on flavour.
I don't expect it to be exactly the same, what with just using my simple ale grain bill, and it being the first attempt, but it smells and tastes good out of the bottling bucket :D

Cheers
Martin

Im going to have a crack this weekend with the hop combo, using malts that I have left from a bulk buy.

OG - 1.065
FG - 1.013
ABV - 6.3%
IBU - 65

Golden Promise Ale - 3.7kg
Marris Otter Ale - 2.5kg
Munich Malt - 700g

Hops

28g Columbus @ 60m
14g Columbus @ 30m
28g Centennial @ 20m
14g Columbus @ Flameout

Dry Hopped with 28g Columbus 7days

Using Dennys Wyeast 1450 as the brew shop was out of 1056 - I really think that the right yeast is Dry English Ale and probably shoudl order some.

Back