Ballarat, Sunday December 16th

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lecterfan

Yeast, unleashed in the East...
Reaction score
Righto.

Monday 17th I need to be in the Melbourne CBD at 8.30am registering to attend a conference on some reasonably intense philosophy.

Therefore, the only sensible thing is to do this:

Piss-up (and brew day if interested) at my joint, Sunday 16th December. Arrivals welcome from around 10.30am onwards (for brewing purposes)...if no brewday then from midday onwards.

BYO EVERYTHING! Nibbles etc etc... I will wheel the bbq out so if you want to bring something to stick on it then do so. Rather than charge $$$$ for food (as I'm not going to be able to match the last lot of gatherings) I thought this would be easier. I don't have a cylinder for kegs.

I know not everyone can make this date...sorry, this time of year is busy for all of us.

This is roughly a 10.30am - 8pm thing. Out-of-towners are welcome. Nothing fancy, just drinking each others beers and making polite comments for about 45 minutes and then being smart-arses (or is that just my modus operandi?).

Brewday: I think I'll knock something out on the day. I am headed towards a BIAB type set up and think I might try it...then again, maybe I won't, but Wakka and I have discussed this as a possibility.

saison_and_philos_2.png

edit: the last of a lovely batch of saison and some of my main thinkers from my thesis pictured. This is for demonstration purposes only, everyone knows I don't talk philosophy or bring out beers this good at actual meetings. Just shit and shit.

In lieu of an actual Vic case swap happening this Christmas, I might try and drag two ranga beardy blokes up for it. If I fail to do that, I'll get a train and hitch a ride with you back to the CBD the following day.

Be good to throw little morsels of parritch biscuit to the little garden leprechauns again.

hahaha - cool - only thing, the ride home for your good self will probably be the train...either I'll be sitting next to you on the train or I'll be in a pre-packed car full of conference goers...(either way, if you're happy with that as a possibility).

Also, to those who don't know me or have an established 'rapport', this isn't a free-for-all-overnighter. I seriously will pull the pin at a 'reasonable' hour, but this does not preclude a tent or swag in the front yard should it come to that. But be prepared for a 5.30-6am wake up call from 'the big whiffer'.
Screen_shot_2012_04_20_at_6.05.32_PM.png

hahaha - cool - only thing, the ride home for your good self will probably be the train...either I'll be sitting next to you on the train.........

You're driving the fucken train, mofo.

With a small hat and greasy overalls on.

YEAH!

Cool. Ill be there, probably a bit seedy so lets see what happens with my part of a brew day. Knowing my old school mates who are over the night before, it will be a slow start on Sunday. But I shall be there at some time, in some state ;-)

In lieu of an actual Vic case swap happening this Christmas, I might try and drag two ranga beardy blokes up for it. If I fail to do that, I'll get a train and hitch a ride with you back to the CBD the following day.

Be good to throw little morsels of parritch biscuit to the little garden leprechauns again.

one ranga beardy bloke up for it here!

Manticle: Maybe train is the go so beers can a-flow?

Early wake up shouldn't be a problem, I'm usually asleep by dark and curled up with said whiffer
B)

Righto.

Monday 17th I need to be in the Melbourne CBD at 8.30am registering to attend a conference on some reasonably intense philosophy.

Therefore, the only sensible thing is to do this:

Piss-up (and brew day if interested) at my joint, Sunday 16th December. Arrivals welcome from around 10.30am onwards (for brewing purposes)...if no brewday then from midday onwards.

BYO EVERYTHING! Nibbles etc etc... I will wheel the bbq out so if you want to bring something to stick on it then do so. Rather than charge $$$$ for food (as I'm not going to be able to match the last lot of gatherings) I thought this would be easier. I don't have a cylinder for kegs.

I know not everyone can make this date...sorry, this time of year is busy for all of us.

This is roughly a 10.30am - 8pm thing. Out-of-towners are welcome. Nothing fancy, just drinking each others beers and making polite comments for about 45 minutes and then being smart-arses (or is that just my modus operandi?).

Brewday: I think I'll knock something out on the day. I am headed towards a BIAB type set up and think I might try it...then again, maybe I won't, but Wakka and I have discussed this as a possibility.

View attachment 58288

edit: the last of a lovely batch of saison and some of my main thinkers from my thesis pictured. This is for demonstration purposes only, everyone knows I don't talk philosophy or bring out beers this good at actual meetings. Just shit and shit.

Not going to make this one...

Shit. Just got reminded by Vitalstatistix that our indoor soccer comp will still be running (Sunday evenings) Might not be able to make it after all. If we do, it will be short and sweet.

BUMP - this isn't just for all-grain brewers etc... I know there are other 'Ballarat and region' brewers on this forum, feel free to say gday, talk with like minded pissheads, err...brewers... and drink beer.

Other than the very helpful people on this site that I've either met or had 'PM' activity with, the biggest leaps and bounds I've had as a brewer have come from these shindigs. You'll get more tried and true advice and information in one meeting than you'll get from a month of Sundays from most other local sources. Plus you get to drink the product and judge for yourself; the proof is in the pudding (we try not to bring the shit pudding haha).

Same goes for anyone interested/or able to organise a Sunday arvo in Ballarat (as far as travel or accommodation goes).

PM with any questions etc etc...

There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. :icon_cheers:

To Mants and my Gaulish friend...you will get here or you won't...the offer remains open...train station from my place taxi is probably around $17...I can pick you up at the start if need be.

The proof is not IN the pudding at all. The proof OF the pudding is in the eating (of said pudding).

So there.

The proof is not IN the pudding at all. The proof OF the pudding is in the eating (of said pudding).

So there.

Ah, see, you made a classic mistake; you took an existential-ontological proposition and equivocated the word 'in' which you then used to frame the rest of the sentence within a Cartesian metaphysic to demonstrate the existence of the pudding. You sir, have taken 'the question of being' for granted with your vulgar 'metaphysics of presence'.

edit - to potential attendees...don't let my b/s put you off haha

Ah, see, you made a classic mistake; you took an existential-ontological proposition and equivocated the word 'in' which you then used to frame the rest of the sentence within a Cartesian metaphysic to demonstrate the existence of the pudding. You sir, have taken 'the question of being' for granted with your vulgar 'metaphysics of presence'.

edit - to potential attendees...don't let my b/s put you off haha

And to paraphrase...I also believe that the pudding is the proof.
Lecterfan, I cant make it along but have a great mate who lives in the RAT that should get involved.

Can you please PM the address of your GAFF.

There is no proof of pudding and therefore the pudding and its proof cannot and do not exist. Without proof, you cannot state neither a priori nor posteriori that there will be, can be or ever was pudding, even if you 'remember' eating some.

If you cannot demonstrate a cause for pudding, how can you claim that there is proof of any kind?

There is no proof of pudding and therefore the pudding and its proof cannot and do not exist. Without proof, you cannot state neither a priori nor posteriori that there will be, can be or ever was pudding, even if you 'remember' eating some.

If you cannot demonstrate a cause for pudding, how can you claim that there is proof of any kind?

No, I don't accept the premise of either of those statements as they rely on a Cartesian metaphysic. Notions of 'proof' in the empirical sense, or the rationalist notions of a pri and a post are entirely contingent on a Cartesian metaphysic, that we are in some sense separate from the world. While these notions are pragmatically useful in day to day discourse, they are simply self-legitimising narratives that claim capital-T 'Truths' to an event based on critera and categories that are arbitrarily constructed in order to meet the conditions of the event in the first place.

The second statement in particular demonstrates an over reliance on an empirical perspective that in itself cannot work beyond the categories that it also creates.

Of course I concede that my original use of the word 'proof' is part of this type of discourse, but in order to articulate or make intelligble certain conceptual gestures, utilising existing notions is sometimes a linguistic necessary, but one that must be considered as part of a despotic regime of signs. There is no 'proof' other than the existence of a signifier that can only signify other signifiers ad infinitum, all meaning is dictated by an imposition of arbitrary notions that arise spontaneously over time. Thus the return to my original contention that from an existential-phenomenological ontological stance the notion of 'in' exists in a space in which notions of proof (or 'OF'), binaries, and the Cartesian metaphysic are untenable (they make no sense as they over-reach and continually contradict themselves).

Muscovy - your friend should display his interest by emailing the BAR website and getting in contact with us, easy done.

blah, blah, big word here, another big word there...

blah, blah. even bigger words here, and even bigger words there...

Oi! you two!! You are making my head hurt.

So, Lecturefan, I take it that there will be some pudding at this shin-dig?? I like pudding.

I'd say carry on, but I wouldnt mean it ;)

edit: yes, I modified the quotes into something I could understand...

Of course I concede that my original use of the word 'proof' is part of this type of discourse

See? Proof that there is no proof. You cannot escape your Cartesian derived doom.

Was there ever a platonic 'good' pudding?

Back