Ball Valves

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you disassemble 2 piece ball valves for cleaning Tidalpete?

If not I can't see the benefit over a nickel plated brass valve from a contamination perspective. In my opinion that doesn't make it worth it if you can't disassemble. You can buy the three valves for all of your vessels for less than the price of one SS ball valve.

Anyone know if you can disassemble a 2 piece. I haven't done it but by the looks of it your not going to gain alot. Anyone know different?

Cheers, JD

Not sure if it will help however...

After every brew when I clean my gear I always open the ball-valve and force the hose over the end. Turn the water on full-blast and blow out the opening.

Then I put the hose inside the boiler and cover the end of the pickup tube and blast again in the opposite direction. (do the same with the mashtun). About every 4 brews I get out the pressure sprayer and do the same thing.

You'll be surprised how much hop debris gets blown out this way. I started this procedure because one day I did a Witbier. Didn't clean the ball-valve and next brew the tap got blocked with a bit of mouldy orange-peel. :blink: :ph34r:

Warren -

with the correct tools 2-piece valves can be disassembled but fwiw 3-piece valves are easier.just a spanner or shifter will suffice for these v/vs.

cheers
big d

Guys,

I would be keen to ponder the idea for a bulk buy on some SS three piece ball valves for by brew system to be....

MWS

If you guys want to organise a group buy I can supply the valves.

To give an indicative price, our list price for 3pc 316 S/S 1/2" BSP $32.52 GST inclusive.

Better prices for qtys.

a group buy on those valves KillerRx4 just mentioned would be sweet, I'd be up for 3. Where are you located Killer?

Justin said:
That's a good price. Might chase it up.

We have blackwoods, don't know if thats the same place, however I don't think they tend to be that cheap. Can only ask though, a phone call will answer all questions.

Cheers, Justin
[post="87462"][/post]​

From the looks of the websites, they are the same company. I'll dig out the part number for the valves when i get home in a couple of days.

Blackies part# 09836712 ;)

kbekus, Im located in Smithfield, Sydney.

I have been buying 1/2 SS ball valves from Armstrong steel in Capalaba qld for 22 each, I think their should be other outlets across the country as well.

Just called a place here $20.00. $35 for fully dismantleable (sp) 3 piece

KillerX4 i'd be in for 1 or 2.. if the bulk buy got the price down a little.
let us know how you go

Guys, the pricing you are getting is about right - be it a 2 piece or 3 piece. But please understand that neither the 2 or 3 piece is a sanitary valve - just pull one apart after being in use for a while and you will see all the trapped material either side of the ball seal. Just consider the application for the valve and whether it can influence your beer and you will be OK. The brewing industry uses butterfly valves for all sanitary applications, BUT they are expensive - try $120 each. Make the compromise with ball valves in the knowledge that you MAY have some problems.

Wes

wessmith said:
Guys, the pricing you are getting is about right - be it a 2 piece or 3 piece. But please understand that neither the 2 or 3 piece is a sanitary valve - just pull one apart after being in use for a while and you will see all the trapped material either side of the ball seal. Just consider the application for the valve and whether it can influence your beer and you will be OK. The brewing industry uses butterfly valves for all sanitary applications, BUT they are expensive - try $120 each. Make the compromise with ball valves in the knowledge that you MAY have some problems.
[post="88324"][/post]​
That may be true but almost all homebrew gear you buy has ball valves, presumably for economic reasons and people have been doing it for years and still manage to make better beer than the "brewing industry".

sosman said:
wessmith said:
[post="88324"][/post]​
That may be true but almost all homebrew gear you buy has ball valves, presumably for economic reasons and people have been doing it for years and still manage to make better beer than the "brewing industry".
[post="88336"][/post]​

Agreed....
i wouldnt mind getting the ants pants of homebrewing for everything.. but it's not possible. i'm yet to hear anyone blame an inhouse infection on a S/S ball valve (i'm sure someone has though). That said i wouldnt mind being able to clean my valve on the kettle.... (its a little way down the list tho) ;)

KoNG

Why cant ya boil a stripped 3pc ball valve to sanitise it?

strip it, clean it. Run some hot wort through it should do the trick. I am inspired to pull mine apart now and see whats inside!

stripped a valve down awhile ago and thought i had a worm in it.turned out to be some gunk of sorts.so leason learnt -flushing system doesnt always clean all out.
which reminds me its that time again to strip things down and do a manual scrub and clean.and put to use some of the 3 piece v/vs i have on hand.

cheers
big d

Just dug out the part number for the valves i'm using, Blackwoods #
05575718 VALVE BALL SS 3PCE F/P JV-9301NSC 15 BSP. List at $30.52 NZD, I got em for $27.47 before i got my account there (mention you are makin beer and all of a sudden everyone wants to give ya a discount) , not sure how much they are with my new discount for the trade account.

Back