Ball Valve Disconnects.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blink471

Reaction score
Hi all... just a quick question about buying plastic disconnects by either from LHBS or online and ebay. Reason I ask as I recently sold my old kegarator and went to a keg master 3 tap set up. I sold the disconnects that I had and worked fine. But I bulk bought some gas and beer disconnects on ebay and I am having trouble using them. They are so hard and difficult to use... Never had this problem before. So maybe these chinese (I'm guessing)... are crap and should invest in better quality. I would love to get stainless but we are talking pricy. Has anyone got advice or tips in what to use. Cheers.

You won't find a plastic disconnect that was manufactured with quality in mind. They used plastic to reduce costs, after all. If stainless is too pricy just install one and swap between kegs until you can afford a second, third etc. Don't skimp on quality in that area.

ed: there may be quality plastic DCs out there, I just haven't seen any.

The genuine Cornelius plastic disconnects are great. They’ve become impossible to find here though. A few pop up from time to time though.

You need to keep the stainless ones well lubed. I’ve had a couple lock onto the post and had to enjoy a beer shower while disassembling the disconnect while on the post. Note to self: de-pressurise keg before disassembling disconnect.

You won't find a plastic disconnect that was manufactured with quality in mind. They used plastic to reduce costs, after all. If stainless is too pricy just install one and swap between kegs until you can afford a second, third etc. Don't skimp on quality in that area.

ed: there may be quality plastic DCs out there, I just haven't seen any.
Well to be honest I love to use stainless if they lock in and off easy and I will pay if needed. Just wasn't sure what most people use.

The genuine Cornelius plastic disconnects are great. They’ve become impossible to find here though. A few pop up from time to time though.

You need to keep the stainless ones well lubed. I’ve had a couple lock onto the post and had to enjoy a beer shower while disassembling the disconnect while on the post. Note to self: de-pressurise keg before disassembling disconnect.
I have seen some made in Germany and they are more expensive and one would assume they would be better. But im not sure.

I use the German gas disconnects with non return valves, excellent and easier to put on and off as they are a bit longer thus better grip.

Mardoo is correct about the stainless ones, keep well lubed. Other than that they are tops.

KegKing have 2 types of the plastics. the one being better are a tighter fit and there must be the tiniest variations on some keg posts because you get a really tight and difficult fit sometimes but after some time they must stretch a little and its not so bad.
I wonder if you could boil them, or near boil in water then connect to the posts and let them cool it may stretch them a little, settle them in as a better fit?, maybe?

KegKing have 2 types of the plastics. the one being better are a tighter fit and there must be the tiniest variations on some keg posts because you get a really tight and difficult fit sometimes but after some time they must stretch a little and its not so bad.
I wonder if you could boil them, or near boil in water then connect to the posts and let them cool it may stretch them a little, settle them in as a better fit?, maybe?
Yeah maybe. But as i speak.. just had a temper tantrum with one of them.. had to cut it off the post. Just dont need hassles when changing kegs.

Nah you don't need that. Like computers sometimes you just need to do that 5 minute job but no, somethings wrong that turns into 1-2-3 hours of toil and trouble.
:hairout:

Latest posts

Back