Ball lock vs pin lock kegs ? Pros and cons ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerisyummy

Reaction score
Just trying to get a keg system put together and was wondering if people had any helpful info to share.

So far my findings are;

- 19L pin locks are cheaper to buy at most places. Pro.
- Most people have ball lock kegs which causes compatibility issues. Both pro and con.
-Pin locks tend to come without the pressure relief valve which can be fixed with a new lid. Con.
-Pin locks are shorter than the ball locks. Pro for me.
-Disconnects on the pin locks are harder to mix up and don't jam on as easily. Pro.

That's all I have been able to work out searching online so I figured it was time to ask the masses.

I'm interested to know if there are any other differences that should be noted. If so, what are the pros and cons of each.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the pin locks based on the shorter height and the simple bayonet style fittings.

- Most people have ball lock kegs which causes compatibility issues.

This item is the number 1 reason why I got ball locks and wont look at pin locks. Drag a keg to your mates house / brew club / piss up and can't use it cause most the real world has ball locks.

QldKev said:
- Most people have ball lock kegs which causes compatibility issues.

This item is the number 1 reason why I got ball locks and wont look at pin locks. Drag a keg to your mates house / brew club / piss up and can't use it cause most the real world has ball locks.
Thanks QK.

I know it sounds bad, but I'm the guy that has an air compressor and tools with a fitting that nobody else in Sydney seems to have. It's a deliberate act that stops my gear getting used by others onsite. I also have all the cool tools and keep them well maintained, which is why I do it.
That side of things doesn't really bother me.

You make a damned good point though!

I have noticed that since I started brewing there seems to be an increase in the number of pin lock kegs available for sale. That could mean more and more people have similar problems with ball lock kegs.

Is it really that hard to set up two different disconnects so you never have a compatibility problem?

Is it possible to just swap out the pin locks for ball locks at a later date? I'm still keen on the dimensions of the pin lock style I've seen advertised lately.

I've got pin lock kegs because that's what the LHBS suggested I get.

You can always change the posts over.
I was permanent-loaned a pair of ball-lock kegs and I swapped the posts over no problem.
(apart from the cost of course).

It's easy for you to throw an extra disconnect or two in your kegerator, the main issue is at other peoples places. You could take John Guest fittings with you and hope the person also has a JG style that can be easierly removed and swapped over.

Beerisyummy said:
-Pin locks tend to come without the pressure relief valve which can be fixed with a new lid. Con.
All my pin locks (x5 so far) came with pressure relief valves.
Maybe they were all refurbished before purchase?

Ok. That's a pretty big con with compatibility issues, but one that can be fixed if needed. Of course that stuffs the cost advantage as well.

I'm surprised there's no simple adapter. I suppose if everyone's using the one type there's no need.

Any other differences I've missed? Cleaning of disconnects, wear and tear, ease of use and maintenance?

Mr Wibble said:
All my pin locks (x5 so far) came with pressure relief valves.
Maybe they were all refurbished before purchase?
I'll definitely ask if I decide to purchase any. Thanks.

If you have a kegerator you'll only fit 2 pin lock kegs in it, whereas you'll fit 3 ball lock kegs coz they're taller & thinner

I also agree with Kev. I hosted the last Vic swap day & only had pin lock disconnects, everyone started rocking up with their ball lock kegs & I had to make a bunch of phone calls to ask people to bring more disconnects

Pressure relief valves are in the lid so that has nothing to do with whether the kegs are BL or PL

One more thing that I've heard but may or may not be true is that BL kegs are in short supply whereas there are a shipload of PL kegs available

Thanks BB,

Good info on the kegerator. I'd be spewing if I owned one and couldn't load it up fully. What a waste!

Luckily, I scored a commercial glass front fridge a while back that is more than enough for storing kegs. If anyone has exact dimensions for both styles of kegs it would help. Most of the info I've found varies between sources.

Did I mention that I've bought two pin locks? They were cheap and local.

I've looked at changing the posts now and they are only $6 a pop, so no drama there. I'll have to decide whether to change out the posts or not to future proof my rig.

Least with a pinlock you can't cross connect,like some have with ball lock.Both systems have there pitfalls you learn to live with it..

Best video I could find for those who might stumble across this thread, asking the same questions as I did.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back