Balanced Kegging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase

Reaction score
Hi There,

I almost have my keg system setup and am considering using the balanced pressure method for kegging, i.e. carbonating and dispensing at the same pressure.

Has anyone used this method? Is it a good method to use?

Cheers,
Jase

Am happy to assist, call me a moron! What's a balanced pressure system?

I assume you want to run more than one keg using the same regulator? or two regs?

Regards
Dave

Yep, wouldn't have it any other way. I hate messing with reg settings and depressurizing kegs etc, so much unnecessary fiddling about. I believe this is the best way to go.

You just need to work out the pressure drop per meter of beer line for the line your using. I use BEVA (this is the prefered beer line, and hopefully the only line your brew shop should sell you, however I bought it a Purple Pig for half the price of the brew shop). Off the top of my head I can't remember the figures but I can work it out for you.

I run 2m of 4mm BEVA @100kPa (14.7psi), serve at 5-7C. Therefore the pressure drop per meter of this line is 50kPa/meter (or 2.2psi/foot). I'm ball parking this a bit but you could start with 2.4m and then tune it to your settings.

Cheers, JD

View attachment Line_Ballancing_Instructions.doc

This is also a helpful table. Now if you want to start running differently carbonated beers you could run into troubles but I serve wheat beers through the same length lines and I usually store these under a bit more pressure fo the elevated carbonation levels these beers are supposed to have. They still pour fine on my 2m of line.

JD

View attachment PressureTemp_CO2_volume.doc

Back