bad gushers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
heya

So I have just started drinking a FWK of a porter that I did. the kit sat at fermenting temp for 2 weeks and was finished . I turned the fridge down to 4 deg to cold clear which I like to do usually for 4 or 5 days before bottling just to clear it a bit . I got distracted with life with my new baby and it ended up cold crashing for 3 to 4 weeks before I got around to bottling it . every day I would wake up thinking "I'll bottle that today " and couldnt get to it

Its now been in the bottles, 750ml pet , for 3 weeks and some of the are real bad gushers.worst I have ever had by far . I have had 5 of them the last week and 2 have been off the charts gushing as soon as the cap comes off . the other 3 have been ok , a little more activity when opening but managelable where the other 2 half the longneck is on the floor in 5 seconds

what causes this? Could cold crashing for too long do it or is it an infection in some of the bottles ? the beer tatses ans smells good . when I bottled I didnt have much time and may have been a little lax in some of my cleaning

how do they taste? two weeks may not of been long enough and you've cold crashed to soon or maybe you over carbed I usually only put one carb drop in my dark beers,or you may have an infection

TheBigD said:
how do they taste? two weeks may not of been long enough and you've cold crashed to soon or maybe you over carbed I usually only put one carb drop in my dark beers,or you may have an infection
they taste good. smell good too. the beer was stable at 1.008 for 3 days before I cold crashed so I figured it was done

maybe decarb a sample let it get to 20c and see what gravity it is, if its lower you'lll know if it was either not finished or infected

found this reply to the same question on another forum which seems to suggest an infection of some sort

"if it's in just one bottle, it is (a) because the bottle wasn't quite sanitized and had some wild yeast/bacteria in it. or (b) because your priming sugar was mixed unevenly and this bottle got too much of the sucrose or dextrose.

if it is in every bottle, it is (a) because the batch was infected in some way or (b) because you bottled too soon and the beer hadn't finished fermenting

to me, the easiest way to know if it is an infection is from the taste. i find that most gusher-infection have almost a sort of belgian character to them. kind of hard to describe, but i know it when i taste it."

Latest posts

Back