Bad Batch?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPG

Reaction score
G'day,

I'm fairly new to brewing (4 or so kits - moderate success but no complete failures so far) and this is my first post to AHB. Hello!

On Friday night I put down a Morgan's Blue Mountain Larger kit with a "Brewer's Choice" pre-mixed dextrose/malt/maltodextrin 1kg bag. The OG was 1036. Instead of using the yeast that came with the kit I decieded to try some Nottingham Brewing Yeast, which I activated according to the instructions.

When I checked it yesterday and today (Sunday), there was a yellow (yeast coloured) scum forming on the bubbles on top of the wort. Also the brew is cloudy and lighter in colour than i expected. So yesterday, I gave the fermenter a bit of a shake.

Apart from the scum and the colour, everything else is normal. There's no bad smell and it is bubbling along nicely - dropping to a SP of 1024 today (1030 yesterday).

Anyway, I'd like to know if this is normal or all wrong and if so, what I've done to cause it?

Thanks in advance!

Hi unknown imposter

I believe you are an imposter as I distinctly remember SPG ascending to heaven after being involved in a car accident.

The yellow scum sounds pretty much like a normal yeast krausen, the cloudiness sounds like the yeast at work in the brew, so I dont see anything to worry about.

Back