Back Of Throat Bitterness

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgriffin

Reaction score
GMK said "The only dumb question is the question that is not asked" so here i go.

A while ago i bought some grumpy's masterbrews, amongst them the "aussie pub draught".
I decided to use it before it went stale, so i layed it down with a coopers draught can.
The first one i made a while ago was a little bland, so i decided to boil it for 20 mins, added another 250g of malt, and 10g of cascade.
At 5 mins i added another 10g of cascade. My boil volume was only 10L, so i didn't expect high extraction rates.

Anyway, i just tried it out of secondary, at about 10 days age. It doesn't taste too bad, and isn't too bitter, until after you swallow. Then a real mean bitter taste is left in the back of the throat.

Is this bitterness something that will mellow with age, or should i just ditch it?

should meloow out a bit....

Just give it some time...

Nup. That's what i didn't like about some of the other kits - they wanted you to boil grains.

Hi JG,
I made a pale ale which went into a keg and the usual doz. stubbies back on the 28th. May. It had the most evil bitterness right at the back sides of my tongue so much so it was undrinkable. I kept trying it for about six weeks but chucked it when i needed the keg. Well, even though it is not quite eleven o'clock this morning, purely for the advancement of science, I just cracked one of the stubbies (only for your benefit) and you will be pleased to know that whilst still not perfect, it is most enjoyable. I would say that 95% of the off taste is gone.

Latest posts

Back