back brewing after a spell

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterlo

Reaction score
hi all,

after a heavy work schedule had no time to brew for what seemed an eternity until just recently.

was really looking forward to my first taste of sweet nectar until i realised i had brewed with town water and not tank, the chlorine affected after taste hit me right in the face....rookie mistake that wont be made again.

but going thru the whole exercise again did make me yearn for the braumeister just a little.

anyways, it was beer! something which i had missed in my life...

Sterlo

Same here, came back to brewing a month ago after about a four year gap - have since put down 7 brews and 21lt of cider and expanded from two fermenters to five... Becoming a problem :)

If you want a major confidence booster put down a toucan Pale Ale, you'll avoid that nasty "bleh, oh well at least its cheap..." factor that I had with my first ale brew before I found this place.

quick question, i kegged this plasticy tasting rubbish, will it improve to a drinkable level after time or tip it? was basically a bright ale clone. nearly 100% its chlorine affected not infected so to speak.

sterlo

I brew all grain and either use a reverse osmosis filter if I'm going to be totally Nazi about water salts, which I add to the strike liquor.

Otherwise I quite happily get water from the hot water system - works ok for me and no trace of chlorine.

Sad to hear that Melbourne water, which is excellent for brewing, is zapped to such an extent with chlorine or chloramine :huh:

Bribie G said:
I brew all grain and either use a reverse osmosis filter if I'm going to be totally Nazi about water salts, which I add to the strike liquor.

Otherwise I quite happily get water from the hot water system - works ok for me and no trace of chlorine.

Sad to hear that Melbourne water, which is excellent for brewing, is zapped to such an extent with chlorine or chloramine :huh:
Im hoping this was the case, otherwise i have stuffed up my first batch ever, i normally use the tank water but in my haste first day back on the brew connected the wrong tap, i add salts to the tank water and havent experienced this vial filth in my previous beers

Sterlo

I let my Melbourne (Cardinia) water sit overnight before boiling and using it, no noticeable chlorine after that.

Wolfy said:
I let my Melbourne (Cardinia) water sit overnight before boiling and using it, no noticeable chlorine after that.
If only i could be that lucky to know i was brewing tomorrow, just knock out whatever i can when the time is available. prob effects quality cause a bag of crushed grain might sit behind the bar for up to a month...but until i get a mill this is my lot

Sterlo

Back