Bacchus Brewing Rock & Timber Fresh Wort Kit With Us-05

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pseudonym

Reaction score
G'day all

I'm a brand new brewer and I've just put down a 20L Bacchus Brewing Rock & Timer fresh wort kit as my inaugural attempt at making my own beer (I'm not affiliated with them in any way but if you have the chance to buy anything off the lads at Craftbrewer you should do so, particularly in store - super helpful and knowledgeable; I will be back).

I pitched dry Safale US-05 into a bunnings 30L storage drum (with the wort of course) and completely forgot to take a starting gravity reading but am pressing on irregardless.

I knocked together a Styrofoam box to try and keep my ferment temperatures more or less correct but it fell apart in about a day so now I've just covered the drum with wet T-shirts that I stuck in the fridge for a few minutes and have a fan blowing onto the whole setup (and I stick a couple of frozen 2L coke bottles in the sides for good measure).

I'm fermenting in a spare bathroom which holds a steady 24-26 degrees all day and unfortunately my temp control is only getting me to somewhere between 20 and 22 degrees in the fermenter (I'm using a stick on thermometer which has a brighter color on the '22' then a more subdued purple/blue type color on the '20' so I guess it's somewhere in the middle). When I leave the setup overnight (with no fan blowing) it is somewhere between 22 and 24 in the morning (the bottles melt and a lot of the water drains out of the shirts).

I understand this day/night temperature fluctuation is not ideal and the ferment temp is a little high but how badly am I really likely to be killing this brew? I was planning to dry hop (30g Galaxy) after fermentation but if I have totally stuffed the brew with the high temperatures and 2-4 degree swings then I might save opening the sealed pack and keep them for my next effort (a BIAB is my plan - pending a better fermentation temperature solution ... I'm researching as we speak).

The yeast packet (or, rather, the spec sheet from the fermentis website) says US-05 is 'safe' up to 24 degrees but I've read a couple of threads here that say 18 degrees is the sweet spot (with some folk having fermented at around 21 and had OK results). Anyone got any experience with fermenting US-05 consistently in the upper part of its range (22-24 deg)?

In case there's any other new brewer types who read this I plan to drop an update here as I progress; I've got some krausen happening and a bit of trub in the bottom so I know it's fermenting (or is disastrously infected) and I will start taking gravity readings this afternoon or maybe tomorrow to see where I'm at.

Cheers lads - I'm excited to have started my brewing journey and I look forward to getting further down the path as time goes by (all assisted by the fantastic resource that this forum is)

Anyone got any experience with fermenting US-05 consistently in the upper part of its range (22-24 deg)?

Me. It works great.

Thing with US05 is it doesn't really make much fruity flavours in the mid twenties - but let it slip above about 27C and you're going to be making longer-chain alcohols ... and that's a great way to wreck your $50.

By the time you've paid for your yeast and your hops you're getting very very close to the price of two boxes (18L) of commercial beer, so it's a good idea to get your temps under control or you might as well buy it in bottles at Dans.

Mate sounds like you are obviously in Brisbane so Temp Control is definitely the first thing on your list! Have a look around eBay or second hand stores and try and pick up an old fridge and then get yourself an STC-1000 so that you can control the temps of your fridge.... You should be able to get a fridge for $50-$100 (or even free) and STC-1000 all built up for under $50... That will be the best $150 you will spend on your brewing journey!

Check out this thread re the STC-1000.

STC-1000

As you are just starting out you probably also need some bottles... I have heaps of crown bottles and just got my keg system so if you need some just let me know and I can pass on a few crates of mine :icon_cheers:

Heading into Craft Brewer is also your best first step in brewing!

Me. It works great.

Thing with US05 is it doesn't really make much fruity flavours in the mid twenties - but let it slip above about 27C and you're going to be making longer-chain alcohols ... and that's a great way to wreck your $50.

By the time you've paid for your yeast and your hops you're getting very very close to the price of two boxes (18L) of commercial beer, so it's a good idea to get your temps under control or you might as well buy it in bottles at Dans.

Nick, Good advice on the fermenting, but you comments re price of brewing over buying are a little off....

Carton of S&W Pacific ale is $65 to $80 (from doing a quick online search) & that's for just under 8L. The FWK is $49 + $4.90 (US-05) + $2.30 (30gm hops) = $56.20 for 20L (they're actually 21L) = $22.50 per carton.

cheers Ross

Me. It works great.

That's encouraging to hear! thanks.

I'm completely hearing you re: the price point of the fresh wort kit as versus just buying commercial cartons.

It's an expensive way of going about it I'll admit (though, frankly, I've spent $50 on stupider things) but the whole idea of this venture was to see if I could find a way to ferment (at correct temps) in my little apartment - I now know a DIY foam box is not effective but I am starting to see that wet T-shirts and a fan gets me close.

If this beer turns out drinkable then I will refine my temp control for next time (with the lessons learned now) and maybe even start to progress to making my own wort. One (admittedly potentially expensive) step at a time for me - definitely aiming for learning what works re temperature at this stage :) .

Mate sounds like you are obviously in Brisbane so Temp Control is definitely the first thing on your list! Have a look around eBay or second hand stores and try and pick up an old fridge and then get yourself an STC-1000 so that you can control the temps of your fridge.... You should be able to get a fridge for $50-$100 (or even free) and STC-1000 all built up for under $50... That will be the best $150 you will spend on your brewing journey!

Check out this thread re the STC-1000.

STC-1000

As you are just starting out you probably also need some bottles... I have heaps of crown bottles and just got my keg system so if you need some just let me know and I can pass on a few crates of mine :icon_cheers:

Heading into Craft Brewer is also your best first step in brewing!

Yeah mate in Brissie indeed.

What I wouldn't give for the space and freedom to just buy a fridge and have it done with :D ... unfortunately my living arrangements (and the wife's understandable aversion to fridges sitting in the living room) make this option difficult for now. I only have a 2ish by 3ish bathroom that I can use so my solution must fit in there. I'm thinking a bin or other vessel to fill with water and sit the fermenter in (might need a round, tapless, carboy style thing for this) to augment my current 'swamp cooling' setup might work more efficiently.

Cheers for the offer re: bottles too. I got 30 PET tallies from the shop and I've saved a few of my empties over the last few months so I should be OK but I really appreciate the thought!

Nick, Good advice on the fermenting, but you comments re price of brewing over buying are a little off....

Carton of S&W Pacific ale is $65 to $80 (from doing a quick online search) & that's for just under 8L. The FWK is $49 + $4.90 (US-05) + $2.30 (30gm hops) = $56.20 for 20L (they're actually 21L) = $22.50 per carton.

cheers Ross

2 cases of Oettinger Stubbies with a squeeze of passionfruit pulp in each bottle ... $55.80 at Dans. :p

Back