Babbs 2010 Comp Kit Beers?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Last year I entered a stout which was built around a Coopers Can and it got a prize as champion supremo stupendo kit beer. By default as it was the only kit entry (embarrassment). Look not a bad stout IMHO and entered in good faith. It was mentioned to me that this class wouldn't be in the '10 comp but I notice it's still in the PDF. My toucan headbanger actually held its own, for what it was, in the State and the Nats and I was wondering about the BABBs this year?

An oversight Bribie... will be discused at the next committee & a fair chance it will be removed.

Cheers Ross

crashandburn.jpg

:ph34r: :lol:

Not speaking re BABBS but generally, why isnt there a kit/partial class in comps? It was dropped from Vicbrew a few year ago.
Lack of interest?

Very experienced Kit brewers i`m sure can go head to head with A/Ger`s any day of the week, but what about the peeps(newbies) wanting to compete against similar ingredients? Their controlled temp ferment with under the lid yeast might well be a good beer, but whack it up against the general entries being AG, its not gotta do to good.
and
Should a judge mark down a beer that he/she believes isnt AG?

While there is an argument that having a K&K category is needed to allow these beers to compete on an even footing, what I have seen in my time with BABBs is that there would be very few members who are regularly brewing K&K - even new members are brewing AG. This month's meeting would be one of the few times where a visitor has stood up at the start of the meeting and announced that they brew K&K. If there isn't the demand then the category becomes redundant and should be removed. Sad but true.

Edit - spullink

As pointed out, nearly all brewers nowadays look like they join BABBs to learn and participate in improving their skills and seem to be coming in at a fairly advanced level already - often quite surprising "Oh I've been doing triple decoction mashes for the last ten years and thought I'd like to meet some like minded brewers" :) . So if there's no interest at local level in kit brewing, in the sense of progressing through Kits and bits then partials, then fair enough. However I take it that, if the kit category is removed, then someone can still enter - say - a Pilsener based on a can of goop and if for some unimaginable reason it takes a silver, then they are not obliged to divulge where they sourced the ingredients. That seems to put it in line with State and Nats :icon_cheers:

As pointed out, nearly all brewers nowadays look like they join BABBs to learn and participate in improving their skills and seem to be coming in at a fairly advanced level already - often quite surprising "Oh I've been doing triple decoction mashes for the last ten years and thought I'd like to meet some like minded brewers" :) . So if there's no interest at local level in kit brewing, in the sense of progressing through Kits and bits then partials, then fair enough. However I take it that, if the kit category is removed, then someone can still enter - say - a Pilsener based on a can of goop and if for some unimaginable reason it takes a silver, then they are not obliged to divulge where they sourced the ingredients. That seems to put it in line with State and Nats :icon_cheers:

The Babbs comps, annual or mini, place no restriction on ingredients, with the obvious exception of the mash paddle, so enter away with your kits and bits etc.

The Babbs comps, annual or mini, place no restriction on ingredients, with the obvious exception of the mash paddle, so enter away with your kits and bits etc.

Sterilising my can opener as I write :p

Latest posts

Back