B-saaz (motueka) Substitute?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, already mashed in and don't have time to get to CB.

I need a sub for Motueka, I have Summer Saaz or NS to choose from. Recipe is Drunk Arab's Fly Blown Belgian ... suggestions?

I would use Cascade. But with what you have got then NS.

Hmm, checking the recipe again, it seems he uses Saaz... not B Saaz (Motueka). So with that in mind, would you still suggest the same?

Saaz - Used for: Pilsners and Bohemian style lagers
Aroma: Delicate, mild, clean, somewhat floral -- Noble hops
Substitutes: Tettnanger, Lublin
Examples: Pulsner Urquell

Summer Saaz - Used for: Pilsners and Bohemian style lagers
Aroma: Delicate, mild, clean, somewhat floral -- Noble hops
Substitutes: Tettnanger, Lublin
Examples: Pulsner Urquell

NS - Triploid variety bred from "Smoothcone" released in 2000. Oil profile said to taste like "fresh crushed gooseberries" similar to Sauvignon Blanc, giving it its name. Very fruity, citrusy - use in moderation.
Used for: Pale ale, Super Premiums.
Substitutes: None

Did I just answer my own question?

I would substitute Moteuka with Wai-iti. Craftbrewer have this, and it will impart that characteristic NZ hop flavour you're searching for, which I'm well accustomed to after living in NZ for a while now. Nelson and Riwaka will bring too much to the table if used incorrectly, so I would steer away from these.

Thanks for your advice all.

With Manticle being a Belgian fan like myself, I went with his advice and stayed away from the NS... so Summer Saaz for the win. Will find out in a few months how it goes.

Latest posts

Back