B.I.P.A. Recipe critique

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanoontour

Reaction score
Morning All,

Thinking of brewing a Black IPA this weekend and I would like a bit of advice on the malt bill if you would be so kind?

78% Pale Ale
8% Munich I
5% Wheat
5% Carafa III Special
4% Choc Malt

Approx 1.060-65 and approx EBC 70. It will be bittered to around 60-65 IBU using one early addition of Cascade, Centennial, Columbus and Simcoe.

Late Flavour and Aroma of the same plus maybe a bit of Citra??

Ideas or suggestions for improvement welcomed.

Cheers

Can't help you with the grainbill as it's not a style I make but it seems to me that if you get 60-something IBU from your first addition you're not leaving yourself much room for big late additions - especially if you happen to be no-chilling. I'd be winding back the IBU contribution of the first addition significantly and going harder late.

IMO Drop the Carafa and Choch and replace with 5% midnight wheat (dehusked black wheat) if you can get it.....

personally i like as little roast flavours in a black IPA as possible but thats just me.

Bum, I should have clarified, the 60-65 ibu figure is total not just the bittering addition.

Yes I can get the midnight wheat; can it just be subbed for normal wheat or extra 5% in addition to the standard 5% wheat

Cheers

Fents said:
IMO Drop the Carafa and Choch and replace with 5% midnight wheat (dehusked black wheat) if you can get it.....

personally i like as little roast flavours in a black IPA as possible but thats just me.
I'm not a BIPA expert, I've only ever had one glass in my entire life, but my immediate question here is ... why would you make a black IPA if you're trying to avoid any of the "black" flavours? The glass of BIPA I tried (absolutely no idea who made it etc, sorry!) was very nice, absolutely an IPA, very heavy on American hops, but it also had a definite hint of roast and smoke in the background. Noticeably different from an average IPA.

slash22000 said:
I'm not a BIPA expert, I've only ever had one glass in my entire life, but my immediate question here is ... why would you make a black IPA if you're trying to avoid any of the "black" flavours? The glass of BIPA I tried (absolutely no idea who made it etc, sorry!) was very nice, absolutely an IPA, very heavy on American hops, but it also had a definite hint of roast and smoke in the background. Noticeably different from an average IPA.

It's about the illusion. The mouth puckering expecting those bitter choc flavours and then just getting an IPA.

edit; i forgot to say from my research when i was developing my recipe there seems to be two camps. Those who agree with you and make a black IPA to taste black and those who are more into the illusion style.

FirmlyInTheSecondCampPunkin

punkin said:
It's about the illusion. The mouth puckering expecting those bitter choc flavours and then just getting an IPA.

edit; i forgot to say from my research when i was developing my recipe there seems to be two camps. Those who agree with you and make a black IPA to taste black and those who are more into the illusion style.

Illusion all the way here!! Might have to drop the dark malts and just colour it with the midnight wheat.

punkin said:

I disagree.

Call it a Cascadian Dark Ale, or a Hoppy Porter, if you need to, but I like the counterpoint of a little roastiness in a bitter, hoppy beer.

I've got one in the keg at the moment, with a near identical grain bill to your initial recipe. Yummo.

SittingFirmlyOnTheFenceWarmBeer.

Righto, going to use this on Sat:

79% Pale Ale
8% Munich I
5% Wheat
5% Midnight Wheat
3% Caramalt

Total Ibu will be 65 ish. Bittering will be mostly amarillo. Flavour and Aroma will be Cascade, Columbus, Centenial and Citra each at 0.2 gm/l at 10 mins, 6mins, 4mins and flame out. Dry hop at about 4 °C with the 4 C's using 1 gm/l of each (bout 100gms total in dry hop), lower temp to help try and remove any grassiness.

Will let you know how it goes.

Latest posts

Back