Awful Taste From Dry Hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLB

Reaction score
hi fellow brewers

I recently brewed a simple APA featuring cascades dry hopped with 15 grams
its been 1 week since i racked of the dry hops the beer is carbed(in keg) and it has a real grassy raw hop taste and aroma, nothing like cascade hops absolultely unbearable :angry:

I read a post here suggesting steeping the hops in boiled water for a few minutes to reduce the grassiness can this be done cause il definetely give that experiment a go in my next brew.

Thanks
Cheers to all

Hey JLB,
Thats the way it tastes in the US. Grassy. Give it a couple of weeks and it wil be fine.
BTW, hot water extracts everything BUT the hop flavour, dont do it!

cheers
Darren

I have had sone great results with dry hops but i find it has to sit for a month to smooth out in the bottle of keg.

cheers

I think hop variety has a bit to do with it too. I just dry hopped with 5g of 5 different varieties in the keg. First week couldn't drink it, but after that, it was and still is bloodygreat!. Don't give up, maybe try a different variety, or, just leave it a bit to smooth out before drinking.

As I'm starting to discover "finally".

Try dry-hopping with plugs as opposed to pellets. You'll be impressed with the results. ;)

Some pellets are only too willing to give off grassy-weedy characteristics. :(

Warren -

Are certain types of aroma hops more suited to dry hopping.

Bruce

I have done the same thing my self and your right it is very grassy but after about 4 weeks in stainless it tends to smooth or mellow .
I now have a small musslin bag from the chef supplies shop and i just make up a tea bag sort of arrangement and dry hop this way.
also as mentioned plugs work a treat as they are fresher and have not been squashed into a pellet and dont seem to give off the just mowed lawn smell.

anyway just my two bobs worth. :)

DELBOY

I've never dry hopped - but I might have a go soon. I'd hate to clog up the beer tube with hop gunk so I suppose a small bag with plugs, tied halfway up the beer out diptube would do the trick?
Anybody else care to share some handy tips re dry hopping in the keg?

Cheers,
TL

I've just over dry hopped a 3.5% American Amber :angry: the "grassyness" is dominating the flavour - was trying to create a Rogers clone & was pretty spot on IMO until i dry hopped it with 60 gms of pellets (should have aroma steeped instead).
Still a nice beer though & I know it will improve dramatically with a bit of age....

cheers Ross

TL

I just chuck them in a hop bag and that's it. I don't bother tying to the diptube. It never seems to block.

Some people go the marbles in the hopbag to let it sink to expose more hops to the beer etc. IMO That would maximise the chances of the bag fouling the bottom of the diptube. Mine float and still seem to put enough of the right flavour in the beer. :)

Warren -

Wow Ross, dry hopping with 60g of pellets is really pushing the boundaries, especially in a 3.5% ale. But then that is what brewing is all about. Hope the flavour settles out and becomes an easy drinker.
Sometimes Too much is just.... well, too much :blink:

What were the hops you used?

Cheers
Andrew

I'm going to agree that time will fix the grassyness. I've dry hopped a few in the past and my reaction has been yuck when first kegged. I've come close to chucking some out, only to discover after a couple of months that it's some of the best beer I made.

For an authentic LCPA or Rogers flavour, add the last hops as you turn off the kettle and before you cool. LC use a hopback to get the Cascade flavour and aroma.

Chris

AndrewQLD said:
Wow Ross, dry hopping with 60g of pellets is really pushing the boundaries, especially in a 3.5% ale. But then that is what brewing is all about. Hope the flavour settles out and becomes an easy drinker.
Sometimes Too much is just.... well, too much :blink:

What were the hops you used?

Cheers
Andrew
[post="122661"][/post]​

Same as I use in my Carbrook APA which handles the dry hopping perfectly from day 1 - 10gm Amarillo, 10gm Simcoe, 10gm Centeenial, 10gm Chinook, 20gm Cascade.

Cheers Ross

Same as I use in my Carbrook APA which handles the dry hopping perfectly from day 1 - 10gm Amarillo, 10gm Simcoe, 10gm Centeenial, 10gm Chinook, 20gm Cascade.

Cheers Ross
[post="122665"][/post]​

Perhaps it is the lower alcohol content of the beer that has given you a different result ? I'm sure time will mellow it out nicely, you'll just have to be patient :p

Cheers
Andrew

AndrewQLD said:
Perhaps it is the lower alcohol content of the beer that has given you a different result ? I'm sure time will mellow it out nicely, you'll just have to be patient :p

[post="122666"][/post]​

Spot on Andrew - fortunately I like the hoppyness, so guess it'll be virtually gone by the time it mellows - The disappointment was purely that it was supposed to be a Rogers clone & it ain't anymore. The next one will be steeped, not dry hopped.

cheers Ross

How much cascade would you need to add at the end of the boil to get something similar to LCPA.

Bruce

BruceL said:
How much cascade would you need to add at the end of the boil to get something similar to LCPA.

Bruce
[post="122737"][/post]​

Well, the SFPA that I brewed recently carried the full complement of 30g of Cascade about 1 min from the end of boil. Am fermenting at 17-18C and it tastes quite sufficiently hoppy from the fermentor tap (sample only, of course).

And to get back on-topic, I have tasted a very grassy (yet resiny) APA at the Wig&Pen out of their Randall(iser). Nice but a bit raw.

I've dry-hopped a small number of times, but my experience is that plugs are a little more mellow than pellets, and whole flowers are unheard of. That's why I need to start some hops this season. Wouldn't mind trying some seeds. That's where you get your variation. Undoubtedly how that dude created Amarillo....And according to the dude from Freshops, he keeps production of the strain to his farm, and is not currently distributing the rhizomes. If he takes a patent on the strain, with a DNA fingerprint, he could licence it across the world and be known as a real nice guy, ...and famous, too.

Ross, that's a very self-indulgent hop combo, buddy. Whatever floats ya boat. :beerbang:

Warren, I have also tossed some plugs into a hop bag, tied it up and hoiked it into the keg (50l Sankey). Still a bit grassy. I blame that on being a little stale. Yes, I knew they were a little off when I got them cheap, but it was worth a try. So, I'd blame the grassiness (esp. if it the hops are oxidised) on a bit of old age, even if they were well-kept.

Sermon over.

Brother Seth out. B) :p

Weizguy said:
Ross, that's a very self-indulgent hop combo, buddy. Whatever floats ya boat. :beerbang:

[post="122784"][/post]​

Try dry hopping with it in a full stregth apa - not self indulgent, just bloody nice :)

cheers ross

I had to go find the keg (labelled) to refresh my memoryand I did.

Hows about dry hopping with 100g of 13.9aa Magnum?

Hahaha, yes I did it, and the result was far from good :lol:

Its been in the keg for 20 days now, so Ill try it again when a full month has passed :ph34r:

PZ.

Latest posts

Back