Avery Fermentation Technique

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricardo

Reaction score
I've been reading the recipe for Avery DuganA in Mitch Steele's IPA book and want to give this a shot. One thing that worries me is that they ferment at 20 c let the yeast get to 50% attenuation and then let it free rise to 23.4 c to finish out with fermentation complete in 4 days. I've always assumed that i really shouldn't go much over 20 c or i would get too much diacetyl, does diacetyl take affect before the yeast reaches 50% attenuation? What is the benefit for the rise in temperature for an IPA?

Most of the off flavours relating to temp (besides acceleration of oxidation/staling) occur early on in fermentation. Starting cool and allowing to rise is common in belgian brewing for example. It can allow you to push the ester profile a bit and ensure healthy and speedy fermentation without allowing excess development of esters, phenolics and fusels.
Diacetyl is produced by yeast naturally but the amount and ability of yeast to reabsorb it is dependent on yeast numbers and health. Strain dependent too but 23 shouldn't see excess production for most ale strains when in sufficient numbers.

manticle said:
Most of the off flavours relating to temp (besides acceleration of oxidation/staling) occur early on in fermentation. Starting cool and allowing to rise is common in belgian brewing for example. It can allow you to push the ester profile a bit and ensure healthy and speedy fermentation without allowing excess development of esters, phenolics and fusels.
Diacetyl is produced by yeast naturally but the amount and ability of yeast to reabsorb it is dependent on yeast numbers and health. Strain dependent too but 23 shouldn't see excess production for most ale strains when in sufficient numbers.
Many thanks for the detailed response. it makes a lot of sense. Do you think that using this technique would give a different flavor to say keeping it at 20 c for the whole fermentation?

Yes. Depends a lot on the yeast. If you are using a reasonably clean us type ale yeast, I probably wouldn't bother - commercially it's probably just to speed up fermentation so if you're not in a hurry, stick with 20. If you want to get extra yeast character without the headaches on the other hand, then give it a whirl.

manticle said:
Yes. Depends a lot on the yeast. If you are using a reasonably clean us type ale yeast, I probably wouldn't bother - commercially it's probably just to speed up fermentation so if you're no in a hurry, stick with 20. If you want to get extra yeast character without the headaches on the other hand, then give it a whirl.
yep using wlp001 so i reckon i'll just ferment out as normal. They do however say to use this in the book but whether it is their strain or not who knows?

Depends on the yeast indeed.
In Dublin, Guinness is allowed to rise to nearly 25 degrees and is finished in 40 hours.

You can do exactly the same yourself with the equivalent Wyeast and WLP Irish ale yeasts. Won me a comp a few years ago.

I'm currently pushing through 2 brews using one fermenting fridge and giving each beer 3 days at 20 then finishing off in the garage at 23. On San Diego Superyeast.

Latest posts

Back