Aventinus Weizen Eisbock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Found this in a bottle shop about a month ago and have had it in the fridge waiting patiently.
Opened it tonight with high expectations after reading reviews of it and the methods of brewing an Eisbock.
I must say it is a nice beer (especially for 12%), but not as balanced and smooth as I was expecting.

Here is a link to the beer

Are there better examples of an Eisbock available in Australia.
Has anyone had a go at brewing one ?

Beers,
Doc

PS: There was a great article in BYO an issue or two ago about brewing Eisbocks.

cant help you out doc but reckon it will be great when the recipe link is up and running.only thing i can suggest is to hit the better sites for recipes.maybe have a look at the site johnno posted.heaps of recipes.

cheers
big d

I too am looking forward to the recipe section , pain in the butt when you know you saw a good recipe sometime back and want find it.

Good site that Johnno posted but so many of the malts are ones I've never heard of

If you eis a beer, you concentrate more than alcohol. You also concentrate hop compounds present in the beer, the taste therefore will change in complex ways. A strongly hopped beer will come out tangy-sour!

Jovial Monk

I have a mate coming out from Austria tomorrow.
He should now be bring me a bottle of Castle Eggenberg Urbock Dunkel Eisbock .
Will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the Aventinus Eisbock I had last night.

Beers,
Doc

It has sat in the fridge for a year.
Cracked it tonight, and it is an enjoyable beer.
It is quite viscous, very light coloured and not over carbonated. At 9.6% you don't really taste the alcochol. It is quite smooth and a nice winter drop.

Beers,
Doc

Doc, how did you manage to leave a beer in the fridge for a yeah :blink: , your not forgetful are you :lol: the Eisbock sounds like an interesting beer sort of like a good barley wine?
Andrew

I'm with you on that Doc,

I had a bottle of the Aventinus Eisbock sit in the fridge for about six months. As I had had it before I knew it was a beer that you must be in the mood for, especially when you know you are going to be waking up the next morning with the flavour still in your mouth.
Still a fine drop anytime but far far superior when you are really crave that unique concentrated flavour hit. (if you get my drift)

Cheers

Borret

Just emptying the camera and realised I took a piccy of it.

Here it is.
Urbock_004__Medium_.jpg

Beers,
Doc

Latest posts

Back