Avent Steam Sterilizer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerIsGood

Reaction score
I just scored a Avent Steam Steriliser in the last sale at the local Tender Centre (like an 'in the flesh' e-bay). It looks like this:

electricsteamsteriliser.jpg

(bottom pictures show unit being washed in dishwasher)

It only cost $5, so I thought it was worth a try. I plan to use it for sanitation of small and awkward items, like scissors, taps, and possibly bottle tops. The cycle time quoted is 8 minutes, with about 5 minutes cooling time.

Has anyone had any experience with one of these for brewing? I'll post back with some feedback on how it went after a few brews...

Haven't used one for brewing but we have one similar that fits into the microwave for the heating of the water.

It cerainly works a treat on babies bottles, so I'd say it would be fine for brewing, as long as the items are heat proof. The time for a cycle is dependant on the temperature, so for an old / crap microwave it was about 8 minutes as well.

For $5 how could it go wrong?

It cerainly works a treat on babies bottles, so I'd say it would be fine for brewing, as long as the items are heat proof.

B.I.G,
Don't put your airlock in it unless you want to buy another one.

Used the steriliser for the first time last night (Johnno's Stout).

It worked a charm, what a brilliant machine! :super: Used it to sterilise a coffee jar to rehydrate my yeast in. And the can opener. Then a teaspoon to add some boiled malt extract to my yeast jar. It just appeals to the anal sanitation mindset I've been developing, and is very forgiving of muddleheadedness and bad planning.

B.I.G,
Don't put your airlock in it unless you want to buy another one.

:huh: Have you had a bad experience here Darren? I was so tempted to try this anyway, but would have been up brew creek without an airlock if it broke, as my 'spare' is still protecting a brew in my 'spare' fermenter. Isn't it funny how a 'spare' fermenter just can't sit around doing nothing but being spare?

Back