Automatic Alchohol Tax prices up again

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwd

Awful Ale Apprentice
Reaction score
See the auto excise on liquor tax kicked in again 1st Feb what a scam.. Lucky I bought a case of Tower 10 IPA on 30th January.

It is a throwback to the Hawke era but is such a cash cow for the government never likely to be removed.

( also affects the smokers too ).

Heard from a mate in the U.K. reckons a pint in the pub is about $5.50 converted to Aus Dollars.

Funny that it does not apply to wine hey.

browndog said:
Funny that it does not apply to wine hey.
Hey Abbot! , I'll vote for whoever removes this imposition on us - the beer drinking taxpayer

I had an idea,,,if we could brew our own then we wouldn't get taxed.... Now just to get some info on home brewing, any one know where I can get some? ha ha

I'd have to say this tax hardly affects me...
Rarely buy beer...and when I do it's mainly a bottle of something I have not tried..
Almost all the beer I drink , I make myself...
When I'm out I suppose I pay it but we hardly go out , what with one income and a nearly two year old ...
As for tax and beer...well unfortunately beer drinkers are classified as a cash cow in my opinion... This is despite the fact whine drinkers can get a bottle of 8 standard drinks for as little as $3...and wonder how many litres of that crap they sell ???
Anyway...
In 9 months , we will find out who is gonna be our prime minister ...
Meanwhile , purchases of commercial beer will continue to prop up the economy lol
F

Robbo2234 said:
I had an idea,,,if we could brew our own then we wouldn't get taxed.... Now just to get some info on home brewing, any one know where I can get some? ha ha
oh,now you've gone and done it.some gubment knob is going to get us hb'ers, shame,shame upon you. he he...cheers..spog....

Yeah, same sort of thing is happening over here in NZ. Smokers have already been dealt to, drinkers are next on the radar. I'm like ferg though, I rarely go out these days drinking, and only ever buy beer if I run out of home brew....so tax away. :p

I'm sure you'll find the average 24c per carton drastically effects your consumption.... ;)

Kegged beer is taxed less, so the per pint price is probably the pub choosing to jack it up.

Anything sold in a container up to 48 litres is taxed at $45.08 per litre of alcohol. This is for beer at 3.5%abv and above. That's $18.66312 in the carton! Take that from the 40 bucks a carton and suddenly you have a $22 carton of beer.

Jurt, that seems more like it to me than 24c a carton.

People have different reasons for brewing. One of the best is not being a cash cow.

winkle said:
Hey Abbot! , I'll vote for whoever removes this imposition on us - the beer drinking taxpayer
:icon_offtopic:

NOOOOooooooooooo Winkle!
Please let's not wish for a Newman/Mad Monk combo. on us all.
I would rather offer more dollars to Juliar than suffer the above.
Are you a glutton for punishment mate?
You may well ask, who can we seriously trust our vote to when they're all such a mob of untrustworthy pricks?

The answer is sadly, none of the above.

Looking forward to your solution old son.

AntonW said:

People have different reasons for brewing. One of the best is not being a cash cow.
Calculations done from info on the ATO website.. That proce MUST be paid before any drop leaves the premises of the brewery, so lion pays that per carton, makes their profit, then the bottle shop jacks their costs and margin on it, and then GST as well.

I think there is some lower regulations sre grading smaller volume breweries/micros though.

Someone has to pay for all the shit alcohol causes.

Not us though, hey!

I still buy the occasional beer, if I have no bottles or whatever, or sometimes I just go in search of new flavours to try!

Once my AG rig is in full swing I'm sure I'll buy even less once that's done!

AntonW said:

Nick is referring to the increase, not the total excise.

Tropical_Brews said:
See the auto excise on liquor tax kicked in again 1st Feb what a scam.. Lucky I bought a case of Tower 10 IPA on 30th January.

It is a throwback to the Hawke era but is such a cash cow for the government never likely to be removed.

( also affects the smokers too ).

Heard from a mate in the U.K. reckons a pint in the pub is about $5.50 converted to Aus Dollars.
Cheaper than $5.50,about $4.50 when I was there last year.A pint ranged from 2.80 to 3.20 English pounds,averaged 3 quid,even cheaper from the supermarkets,about 2 quid for a 500ml bottle.People choked when I told them the cost here,they reckoned 3 quid was exorbitant :lol:

NickB said:
I'm sure you'll find the average 24c per carton drastically effects your consumption.... ;)
You can bet they charge $39.99 a case so you think you are getting a bargain.

Latest posts

Back