Autolisised Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amiddler

Reaction score
So I brewed a Coopers clone with the yeast out of a 6 pack as I have done a few times before but this time the yeast growth wasn't as good whilst growing it and I under pitched into my wort. Possibly about half what I have had in the past. The beer has bad Autolisis, tastes and smells like a new garden hose.

Question: Can I re-use the yeast in my next brew or will that have Autolisis as well? Will washing the yeast help?

I usually grow the yeast to a 3L starter pitch the yeast into 18L then use the yeast for a second time into 36L giving me 54L from one six pack.

Drew

I wouldn't be putting anything that smells like a garden hose into another beer.

Also, a starter can be made from a single bottle. I buy a 6er every few months or so and just use one bottle at a time to make yeast. I find it takes exactly the same amount of time as a starter started with 6 bottles worth of yeast. The first step up is just poured into the coopers bottle...

I had never though of putting the first step into the bottle. I find I can't stop at one Coopers so what ever I drink that night goes into the starter.

Drew

I had never though of putting the first step into the bottle. I find I can't stop at one Coopers so what ever I drink that night goes into the starter.

Drew

Well i figure that it would be pretty sanitised in there, and if its not then the starter is going to be rooted anyway! I was feeling lazy one day and decided to see what would happen by only using one bottle, seems to work well.

The good thing about doing it this way is that you can build multiple starters at once, in case one goes awry.

the old addage is smell and taste? Never been one for a taste but if it smells off why bother?
New Coops yeast is clearly easily come by and not a drama for you :chug: go again and ditch the funky garden hose

I doubt you are getting autolysis of your yeast it usually takes place after a long period of time when the yeast goes canibal and turns into vegemite. Autolysis. Sounds more like an infection.

I doubt you are getting autolysis of your yeast it usually takes place after a long period of time when the yeast goes canibal and turns into vegemite. Autolysis. Sounds more like an infection.

If you store a bottle of trub for 6 months in the fridge - that's autolysis. Vegemite city.

Wouldn't the yeast be dormant in the fridge?

If you left the beer on the yeast way to long until it autolised,basically the final phase of death in the yeast cycle,then it'll be all but fecked to re-use.If you had autolised yeast already from the bottles you used as a starter you should have been able to taste it then,and the yeast would have been virtually useless by that stage. I've never experienced that problem with Coopers . I've only tasted autolised yeast once, my fault :rolleyes: ,and it was like sucking on a rubber band,totally undrinkable :icon_cheers:

Wouldn't the yeast be dormant in the fridge?

My fridge is at 7C, so no.

They make vegemite by inducing autolysis (internal enzymes breaking the cells down) with salt, apparently.

I think also what people called "autolysis" is not always self-destruction of the yeast cell, but plainly falling over and popping.

So possibly not Autolysis but what is it then? I split the 36L wort pitching Coopers into one and S-04 in the other. I always have a taste of the wort when growing yeast and it tasted fine going in just not as much as I hoped for. The other 18L with the S-04 is great just not as fruity as the Coopers yeast usually is.
I am also experimenting with longer oxygenation, up to30-40mins, with my pump and air stone but I doubt I over oxygenated with out pure O2.

Drew

So possibly not Autolysis but what is it then? I split the 36L wort pitching Coopers into one and S-04 in the other. I always have a taste of the wort when growing yeast and it tasted fine going in just not as much as I hoped for. The other 18L with the S-04 is great just not as fruity as the Coopers yeast usually is.
I am also experimenting with longer oxygenation, up to30-40mins, with my pump and air stone but I doubt I over oxygenated with out pure O2.

Drew
My first thought would be maybe the taste was picked up from a non-food grade transfer hose . or possibly a container.I've personally never experienced that taste/flavour from any yeast strain,even at higher than norm temps.

My first thought would be maybe the taste was picked up from a non-food grade transfer hose . or possibly a container.I've personally never experienced that taste/flavour from any yeast strain,even at higher than norm temps.

Nah, all food grade silicon hose. Must have been something in the cultured yeast because the other 18L has come out fine. Tasted OK before pitching so I have missed something.

Drew

Latest posts

Back