Auto-easy Syphon

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mate, our country is crap in regards to home brew stuff aye, like, hardly anything is available over here <_<

Oooo I'm not so sure about that - we certainly seem to be tops for hops B)

Most things you need are out there - it's just a case of finding them - or improvising, like anywhere else

cheers, jaytee

That looks interesting, how do you use that?

Join the the silicone hose onto the cane with a hose clamp. Put the cane into the wort (15 minutes before end of boil). Like I said, I also jam steel wool onto the bottom end of the cane as a filter. It would probably be better to filter at the other end so the syphon isn't so hard to start - maybe stretching a sanitised piece of mesh of some sort over your fermenter.

When I'm ready to syphon, I get some sanitising solution (I use iodophor) or boiled water in a small jug, a separate jug/bucket and the fermenter all under the kettle.

Holding the end of the silicone hose at about the same height as the lip of the kettle, I fill the hose with sanitiser - don't fill it so much that it flows back into your wort (although if you're using boiled water this wouldn't be a problem).

In one quick movement, drop the end of the hose down into the other jug/bucket and with the some luck, the sanitiser will suck the wort into the racking can and out through the hose - syphon started! Let it run a second or two to rinse the sanitiser. Pinch the end of the hose to stop the flow while you transfer the end of the hose to your fermenter.

Sometimes, the steel wool gets blocked with debris so I have to refill the hose to start the syphon again. Also, I have a 2m length of hose which can be a bit awkward. Maybe 1m or 1.5m would be better.

Andrew

The best solution is to dump the auto syphon as they are not made for syphoning boiling or near boiling liquids.

Cheap solution is to get some 3/8" or 1/2" copper tube and make yourself a racking cane. The Fancy solution is to buy a stainless racking cane and then do some googling on how to start a syphon. There is 1001 or different sites with info on how to start a syphon without sucking on the end of the tube and filling it with your mouth nasties as our american friends love syphoning from their glass carboys. Whilst silicone tubing is nice plain, beverage tubing works well enough for hot wort transfers as well.

Join the the silicone hose onto the cane with a hose clamp. Put the cane into the wort (15 minutes before end of boil). Like I said, I also jam steel wool onto the bottom end of the cane as a filter. It would probably be better to filter at the other end so the syphon isn't so hard to start - maybe stretching a sanitised piece of mesh of some sort over your fermenter.

When I'm ready to syphon, I get some sanitising solution (I use iodophor) or boiled water in a small jug, a separate jug/bucket and the fermenter all under the kettle.

Holding the end of the silicone hose at about the same height as the lip of the kettle, I fill the hose with sanitiser - don't fill it so much that it flows back into your wort (although if you're using boiled water this wouldn't be a problem).

In one quick movement, drop the end of the hose down into the other jug/bucket and with the some luck, the sanitiser will suck the wort into the racking can and out through the hose - syphon started! Let it run a second or two to rinse the sanitiser. Pinch the end of the hose to stop the flow while you transfer the end of the hose to your fermenter.

Sometimes, the steel wool gets blocked with debris so I have to refill the hose to start the syphon again. Also, I have a 2m length of hose which can be a bit awkward. Maybe 1m or 1.5m would be better.

Andrew

The racking cane looks exactly like the centre piece of the auto syphon, just that the auto syphon one is plastic, but a good plastic, not one that melts easily... Maybe I should try and use that as a racking cane...

I did a brew yesterday and just ended up gladwrapping the lid, so ill see how that goes also, gonna pitch the yeast when I get home from work...

Hey guys,

Im having major issues with my auto easy syphons crapping out on me, the little round bit which acts as a valve keeps popping out cos of the heat, and then I cant get it back in.. Ive been taking it back to the shop and getting it replaced but its just happened to me for the third time <_< And its seriously getting really annoying!!!

Im no chilling, I leave the wort about 30-45 mins after the boil before I start to syphon, but it keeps happening :angry:

What are you guys using as a syphon? How long are you leaving the wort to cool for? Anyone else had this problem? Dont suppose anyone has a handy idea of clipping this thing back in?

Cheers :(

Reviled ,

I never had much luck with an autosyphon I think hey are a poor gimmick IMO , I mainly used for transferring from secondary fermentation into the kegs which I dont have to do now, I filter my beer into the kegs directly from the fermenter ,saves double handling etc.

However if you have to use a syphon from your kettle use a 'Jiggler syphon 'you can get them with a 'brass tip' from 'AutOne' shops .

The ball valve is far more effective than the bicycle pump type piston in the Auto syphon .

I dont know if you may require to replace the 'PVC' with the 'silicone hose' due to the high temperature you are syphoning at .

Pumpy :)

Jiggler_shphons.gif

Reviled ,

I never had much luck with an autosyphon I think hey are a poor gimmick IMO , I mainly used for transferring from secondary fermentation into the kegs which I dont have to do now, I filter my beer into the kegs directly from the fermenter ,saves double handling etc.

However if you have to use a syphon from your kettle use a 'Jiggler syphon 'you can get them with a brass tip from AutOne shops .

The ball valve is far more effective than the bicycle pump type piston in the Auto syphon .

I dont know if you may requiret o replace the PVC with the silicone hose due to the high temperature you are syphoning at .

Pumpy :)

Cheers for that mate, ill look into it.. Hopefully either repco or super shit have one...

Here are some pictures of the tap on my kettle. It's an aluminum kettle with a SS tap. I found the tap in the plumbing aisle of a home improvement store. It is threaded and screws into the thick piece welded onto the kettle.

Outside, tap open:
open.jpg

Outside, tap closed:
closed.jpg

Inside:
inside.jpg

An old neighbour of mine took care of the mounting for me. His brother in law is a machinist. It cost me one beer to get this done. :) He had to weld a thick piece of aluminum to the pot because the pot itself was way too thin to simply drill a hole and screw in the tap. My advice would be to find a suitable tap, print the pictures, and take the works to a welder. Any welder can easily do something similar, probably for very little $. Notice that I had to shorten the handle on the tap in order to get it to open properly without hitting the kettle.

Here are some pictures of the tap on my kettle. It's an aluminum kettle with a SS tap. I found the tap in the plumbing aisle of a home improvement store. It is threaded and screws into the thick piece welded onto the kettle.

Outside, tap open:
View attachment 20971

Outside, tap closed:
View attachment 20972

Inside:
View attachment 20973

An old neighbour of mine took care of the mounting for me. His brother in law is a machinist. It cost me one beer to get this done. :) He had to weld a thick piece of aluminum to the pot because the pot itself was way too thing to simply drill a hole and screw in the tap. My advice would be to find a suitable tap, print the pictures, and take the works to a welder. Any welder can easily do something similar, probably for very little $. Notice that I had to shorten the handle on the tap in order to get it to open properly without hitting the kettle.

Ive had the exact same thing done to mine.
Except i put 2 threads on it. 1 for the the tap (i just bought a tap from a plumbing shop) And 1 for my Thermometer

Thats awesome!!! Thats so what I need... Im going shopping on fathers day :rolleyes: hahaha

Cheers guys

Thats awesome!!! Thats so what I need... Im going shopping on fathers day :rolleyes: hahaha

Cheers guys

Latest posts

Back