Austrian Beer - Recipes For My 1st Partial?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All, any thoughts on my last post? I am going to brew it anyway, but any last min suggestions before I go buy the lot and brew away :)

Rendo

Would you be getting too much bitterness added to the kit?? Also what about some hersbrucker at 15 and tettnang at 5 with saaz at 0

Yes, what brad said. Maybe change the hallertau 20g@60 to @15, making a total of 40g@15.

Hi Rendo,

I would add the dextrose in. As Screwtop suggested, extract brews have a tendency to underattenuate making them thicker, maltier and sweeter. Acertain amount of this can be a good thing but you'll notice that lagers (even the maltier ones) tend to have a dryness at the finish of the palate. The dex will help with this, especially if you are adding any kind of crystal grain in.

There seems to be a bit of confusion as to what constitutes a partial. A partial is not adding specialty grain to your brew. A partial is mashing some grain in order to get part of your fermentables from grain.

Steeping grain extracts colour and flavour from grains whose starches have already been converted through a kilning process. Often this kilning will destroy a lot of the fermentable sugar (as in the case of black and choc malts particularly) which is why you can't make a beer purely from specialty grains. Crystal grains are treated slightly differently but again the process converts the starches within. I believe you can make beer excusively from crystal but it will require a lot and it will just be amazingly thick, sweet and cloying.

Anyway base malts contain starches and usually enzymes which will convert those starches. In order for those starches to be activated, they need to be exposed to certain temperatures for certain lengths of time. Thus to make all grain beer, we mash which means soaking those cracked grains in water of a certain temp for certain periods in order to activate those enzymes to convert the starches to sugars, some of which are fermentable by brewing yeasts. The combination of unfermentable and fermentable makes tasty beer when mixed with hops and all the rest. A proper partial mash utilises at least some base malt which is mashed - thus leading to the term 'partial mash'.

Hi manticle,

Thank you for this info. I agree with you about the confusion. I 'intended' for this beer to me my first 'partial' but after wimping out and thinking I will just stay with spec grains for now, I am aware that this makes this recipe not a partial anymore. (i wish I could change the thread subject line :) )

You explained it very well and I must say that took me ages to work out sometime ago when I didnt know any better. So my first partial will be postponed for now and I will see how this brew goes.

I am still very keen to mash sum shit up some grain up, but for now its not going to be in my next brew, HOPEFULLY the one after

I will be using the little 9L esky that I have done some 'pretend mashing' in with spec grains, it held the temps reasonably well, but I could do better for sure. I think I need to rip the tap outta it and replaced with something better as someone else here as done (robbomc?). I remember you and a few others told me that I could probably mash about 2kg, max 2.5kg in this little beastie.
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...st&id=35929

Rendo

Hi Rendo,

Steeping grain extracts colour and flavour from grains whose starches have already been converted through a kilning process. Often this kilning will destroy a lot of the fermentable sugar (as in the case of black and choc malts particularly) which is why you can't make a beer purely from specialty grains.

Hi Brad, Stm, Manticle,

I have just discovered the wonderful world of beersmith and plugged this recipe in (after loading in the coopers kits to it). I have likened it to a Munich Helles. It pretty much fits the style according to BS, except as you said the IBU is a tad high at 32.5 IBU (BS says 18-25IBUs, my hallertau is only 2.9%, not a strong one). I dont mind if it is that high, even though 32IBU really isnt that high. I might scale the hops back a bit, just to keep it true to style, but I do like a little extra hops in my beer.

The dex will go in now! :) Here is what beersmith says. Getting the ingredients this sat (i hope)

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Austrian Lager Rendo
Brewer: Rendo
Asst Brewer:
Style: Munich Helles
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 21.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 6.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 32.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.60 kg Extra Light Dry Extract (5.9 EBC) Dry Extract 19.4 %
0.30 kg Wheat Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 9.7 %
1.70 kg Coopers Canadian Blonde (4.5 EBC) Extract 54.8 %
0.20 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 6.5 %
20.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [2.90%] (60 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
20.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [2.90%] (20 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
10.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [2.90%] (5 min) Hops 0.7 IBU
0.30 kg Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 EBC) Sugar 9.7 %
1 Pkgs German Lager (White Labs #WLP830) [Starter Yeast-Lager 1Litre]

Yes, what brad said. Maybe change the hallertau 20g@60 to @15, making a total of 40g@15.

Hello All,

So it is done. I have put this lager down to brew now (@11.1C) and I will post from time to time letting you know how it is going. It tasted pretty good just before I pitched the yeast. I almost thought I might just chill it as is and drink it like that, sure was tasty. Big hopes for this one and for the WLP830 yeast I used for the first time.

Here is my rendo's Austrian Lager recipe. (at least I hope so)

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Rendo's Austrian Lager

Recipe Specifications
Batch Size: 23.00 L
OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 6.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 30.6 IBU

Ingredients:
------------
0.70 kg Extra Light Dry Extract (5.9 EBC) Dry Extract 22.58 %
0.30 kg Wheat Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 9.68 %
1.70 kg Coopers Canadian Blonde (4.5 EBC) Extract 54.84 %
0.20 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 6.45 %
20.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [2.90 %] (60 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
20.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [2.90 %] (20 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
10.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [2.90 %] (5 min) Hops 0.7 IBU
0.20 kg Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 EBC) Sugar 6.45 %
18.93 L Sydney Water Water
1 Pkgs Yeast - German Lager (White Labs #WLP830) [Starter Yeast 1L]

Steeped carapils for 30mins @ ~60deg in 1.3L and 0.7L for sparging/rinsing
Boiled resultant liquid with hops as per schedule above

I'll carb this one up pretty heavily I think

Rendo

Hello All,

So it is done. I have put this lager down to brew now (@11.1C) and I will post from time to time letting you know how it is going. It tasted pretty good just before I pitched the yeast. I almost thought I might just chill it as is and drink it like that, sure was tasty. Big hopes for this one and for the WLP830 yeast I used for the first time.

Here is my rendo's Austrian Lager recipe. (at least I hope so)

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Rendo's Austrian Lager

Recipe Specifications
Batch Size: 23.00 L
OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 6.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 30.6 IBU

Ingredients:
------------
0.70 kg Extra Light Dry Extract (5.9 EBC) Dry Extract 22.58 %
0.30 kg Wheat Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 9.68 %
1.70 kg Coopers Canadian Blonde (4.5 EBC) Extract 54.84 %
0.20 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 6.45 %
20.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [2.90 %] (60 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
20.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [2.90 %] (20 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
10.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [2.90 %] (5 min) Hops 0.7 IBU
0.20 kg Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 EBC) Sugar 6.45 %
18.93 L Sydney Water Water
1 Pkgs Yeast - German Lager (White Labs #WLP830) [Starter Yeast 1L]

Steeped carapils for 30mins @ ~60deg in 1.3L and 0.7L for sparging/rinsing
Boiled resultant liquid with hops as per schedule above

I'll carb this one up pretty heavily I think

Rendo
Looks cool. Let us know how this one goes... I might try it as it gets closer to winter as my first lager. I'll probably have a crack at an AG version, too.

Sounds like a plan mate...u could sub the extract I have used with pilsner grain or something like that. There are heaps of diff pilsner malts, galaxy, different brands, all with subtle differences...anyway...

See bribieG's recipe here.....http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=42880&view=findpost&p=607008

4000 Galaxy
333 Carapils
65 degrees 90 mins
500 sugaz in the 90 mins boil
45 NZ Aroma Hallertau 6.5% AA
S-189 dried lager yeast

simple and easy....u might want to get fancy like i did and add in wheat, or rice or get a fancy liquid yeast...

I will be sure to let u know how this goes....better be good!! OR...OR...OR....I will just have to drink it

Looks cool. Let us know how this one goes... I might try it as it gets closer to winter as my first lager. I'll probably have a crack at an AG version, too.

Well its bottled.....PHEW...

What a drama. Anyway guys it looks like I hit the mark (or at least close).

You can see the clarity and colour in the pics, I am really happy with that.

It tastes pretty FINE straight out of the fermenter! (Yes...I picked up the whole fermenter and took a swig....YUM). You can really taste the hallertau (as it is solely HT) but it isnt overdone, eg it isnt a hallertau bomb.

Anyway, this will take some further maturing in the bottles. VERY VERY happy. Thanks for all those who helped me along the way with this one.

Rendo

Austrian_Lager2.jpgAustrian_Lager1.jpg

Hi All, any thoughts on my last post? I am going to brew it anyway, but any last min suggestions before I go buy the lot and brew away :)

Rendo

let us know how it goes, sounds like it will be a great beer!

thanks
Bjorn

Well its bottled.....PHEW...

What a drama. Anyway guys it looks like I hit the mark (or at least close).

You can see the clarity and colour in the pics, I am really happy with that.

It tastes pretty FINE straight out of the fermenter! (Yes...I picked up the whole fermenter and took a swig....YUM). You can really taste the hallertau (as it is solely HT) but it isnt overdone, eg it isnt a hallertau bomb.

Anyway, this will take some further maturing in the bottles. VERY VERY happy. Thanks for all those who helped me along the way with this one.

Rendo

Rendo, how did this one come out?

Hi PH,

Mate, I (and Dad) am extremely happy with it. The colour was incredibly light golden (as seen in the photos), crystal clear, the WLP830 gave it that real crisp lager taste. I had never used that sort of yeast before and what a difference it made. Temperature control was everything though. The flavour...well...it was GREAT...BUT....there is always a but....it was a 'little' too bitter if I am comparing to the austrian lagers I have drank. However the bitterness was great as I like a bitter beer, but I would back it off just a tad when doing it again. Maybe only 10g for the 60min boil. I'd say it is at its best drinking right now (about 4 months old)...there is only a few bottles left which I doubt will make the 6 month mark :)

All in all, I am extremely happy with it, have learnt heaps, made fantastic beer, and now have some WLP830 yeast saved in the fridge which i have reused twice already, @ $15 per yeast vial this means i have brought the cost down to $5 per brew, plan to use it many more times too (ps...I always make a yeast starter with liquid yeast, its not hard, heaps of info here). Thanks heaps to the guys here who helped and offered advice.

Rendo

Rendo, how did this one come out?

Keen to try an AG version of this Rendo. Surely you've tied that now being 5 years mate!
Way back in 1993 I was Austria for my ski instructing course and my very first beer was Gösser! I loved it and it made me realise even as a young bloke at the time that fosters (which I drank in that lifetime) was not all that good...!

Anyway many years later and now a super keen AG brewer and with matured and more educated beer palate/or just a beer snob; I am still keen to try and make a Gösser clone. As you did 5 years ago, I've searched all over the net and pretty much found only your thread!

Did you end up having a crack at an AG version or did you ever try this recipe again and refine it at all mate??

Cheers
Hodgo.

Back