Australia's most obnoxious sports commentator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJS2154

Reaction score
I was flicking through the channels this morning and stumbled across a special episode of Wide World of Sports. Appearing on the show, of course, was Ian Chappell. It got me to thinking......has there ever been a more obnoxious, less likable sports presenter than Ian Chappell? For me the answer is clear. No.

I know this will be contentious, but who is your most obnoxious sports commentator? We might need a state and national nomination because each state has their own special breed of dickhead commentator. I have another solid nomination. Phil Gould. Phil is, unfortunately, from NSW....seriously condescending, pompous and self important to rival Chappelli.

Have a vent. Who gets up your goat?

Anthony

Bruce McAvaney. Wouldn't say he's obnoxious, but he grates me so much he's become a distraction.

He went through a very long stage where he asked rhetorical questions to other commentators about every 3 minutes.

eg "you get the feeling the next goal will be important within the context of the game don't you?" :wacko:

He still does it, but it's probably slightly less often now.

+1 for Bruce McAvaney - i know he means well, but his unbridled enthusiasm frequently crosses the line to be outright *********.
And a little too much hero worshipping (except for when it's about Cyril, then it's all just factual B) ).
He's definitely not short on inane comments or stating the obvious, but most of the Channel 9 commentators cross that line regularly.

I think Bruce is too smart for the demographic he aims to please and all you described is a spot on description of this 'pitfall' in his person. I mean, the facts this guy can call up is phenomenal.

Edit: I didn't say I enjoy it....

Sandy Roberts during the Aus open. Can't put my finger on it, just generally annoying as he points out fairly obvious things and doesn't seem to have much insight when compared to his co-hosts

Just about every commentator trying to call a hockey game when they have a paltry understanding of how it works &
Craig Foster.

All footie commentators, without exception, and regardless of the code.

And Rusty (whatever his real name is, other than dikkhead) when he did commentating on motor sport on Ch 10.

Bridges said:
Who at channel seven decided that the world has forgiven Wayne Carey and we wanted him back on our footy coverage. I sure as hell didn't. He is a thug, a bully, a cheat and a liar. All well documented. He's been convicted of violence against women and assaulting police. I'm all for second chances but this guy is probably at his 20th chance, as recently as 2012 he was denied entry to Barwon Prison as a scan turned up coke on his clothing. It really shits me to then have him on my TV calling out players for dirty play and no doubt taking home a huge pay check.

FARK that feels better.

Yeah and he's a crap commentator. But then so is Matthew Lloyd who really puts the "special" into special comments.

None of them will EVER be able to equal the great Roy & HG.

They are all dickheads compared to Roy & HG :)

shaunous said:
+1 for Phil Gould being TV's biggest pest and annoying prat.
Phil Gould makes me want to put my fist through the TV screen, then chow down ceremoniously on the glass shards.

Not only is he a know-it-all, pretentious prick, he also has to be in the running for the ugliest man on earth.

Nah, this bloke was HUUUUUUGE!!! Big Daz.

Pearce off Jack, Gibbs on.
Don't tell me to piss off fuckknuckle. Smack!!!
Ohhh, he's hit me and I've gone crashing to the deck. Ho Ho....

I dont watch much sport if I'm honest, but so far as 'journalism' goes Rebecca Wilson can STFU when ever she likes.
Basically calls Australians a bunch of closeted racists in one breath, then endorses Alan Jones comments comparing A league fans with the Paris bombers in the next.

NRL hack, Phil Rothfeild calling for the banning of the UFC in Australia after having his delicate sensibilities hurt.

'The injury risks they face in rugby league and all the footy codes. At least their sport involves a large degree of skill - and it's not just a contest to ­violently bash another person into submission '.

Oh, at least...

You're a typical main stream sport ignoramus Phil, stick to what you know.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/boxing-mma/ultimate-fighting-championship-a-bloody-disgrace-writes-phil-rothfield/story-fnii0bqi-1226778234609

Yeah Phil Gould wins the choccies for my vote, but I have to say Tim Horan comes close. Regardless of playing the game for so many years, he still doesn't know much about Rugby, and makes the most banal and often incorrect statements.

Phil Kearns when he's commentating the Waratahs. He's alright when they're not playing but disgustingly one-eyed for the Tahs.

Yes, I'm a long suffering Reds fan and this may colour my judgement.

+1 Phil Gould. The combination of him and Rabs makes me mental. It's like listening to two decrepit old farts talk about a game that you aren't watching. They get stuck on things and can't let them go for the next 20 minutes. Just typing this has made me angry.

Back