Australias Hottest 100 Poll 2011

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kooinda Black IPA at 8 yeah that was one of my votes. Mountian Goat Thornbridge was my No.1 but Kooinda's is also great congrats to them

Kooinda Black IPA at 8 yeah that was one of my votes. Mountian Goat Thornbridge was my No.1 but Kooinda's is also great congrats to them

They were both in my top 5, had the Kooinda one higher tho. I think LC pale or Stone & Wood will take the cake

From Crafty's website...

The new system has given the man who set it up, Andrew Mitchell, the ability to see where votes are coming from and it seems theyre flying in from all over the world. At the same time, there have been campaigns by brewery staff to try and influence the result in their favour.

Unsurprisingly, there have been some brewery staff running a campaign to vote for only their beers, says Steve. "But through the sheer number of unbiased voters, we are seeing a list perhaps truly reflective of the great beers of 2011.

------

Unfortunately I don't see how you'll ever get a true vote cast for the best beers, No disrespect to the poll but the campaign votes are bloody obvious...

From Crafty's website...

The new system has given the man who set it up, Andrew Mitchell, the ability to see where votes are coming from and it seems theyre flying in from all over the world. At the same time, there have been campaigns by brewery staff to try and influence the result in their favour.

Unsurprisingly, there have been some brewery staff running a campaign to vote for only their beers, says Steve. "But through the sheer number of unbiased voters, we are seeing a list perhaps truly reflective of the great beers of 2011.

------

Unfortunately I don't see how you'll ever get a true vote cast for the best beers, No disrespect to the poll but the campaign votes are bloody obvious...

I put in a vote for you Ross :wub:

From Crafty's website...

------

I put in a vote for you Ross :wub:

Here's the final top 12 list:

1. Stone and Wood Brewing Co - Pacific Ale

2. Little Creatures - Pale Ale

3. Feral Brewing Company - Hop Hog

4. 4 Pines Brewing Company - Kolsch

5. Little Creatures - Single Batch - The Big Dipper

6. 4 Pines Brewing Company - Pale Ale

7. McLaren Vale Beer Company - Vale Ale

8. Kooinda Boutique Brewery - Black IPA aka Full Nelson

9. Holgate Brewhouse - Temptress

10. White Rabbit Brewery - Dark Ale

11. McLaren Vale Beer Company - Vale IPA

12. Murray's Craft Brewing Co. - Icon 2IPA

While it may not be my top ten (or more realistically there are some beers I'd not put in my top ten) I think it's a reasonable indication.

Sure no sexy funky beers or biere de gardes or somesuch but most of those are actually independent craft beers and the main one I know of that is owned by a larger company (LC) make consistently decent beers and challenge themselves with their single batch offerings (which are also decent).

Congrats to those who made the top 100 and further congrats to the top 10.

Good to see Kooinda boys in there. Have had a drink with at least 2 of those blokes and would do again. Love their flagship and could do a black IPA again with no trouble. Most of all though - they are as genuine craft brewing people as you can get.

Big ups Fents and co.

While it may not be my top ten (or more realistically there are some beers I'd not put in my top ten) I think it's a reasonable indication.

Sure no sexy funky beers or biere de gardes or somesuch but most of those are actually independent craft beers and the main one I know of that is owned by a larger company (LC) make consistently decent beers and challenge themselves with their single batch offerings (which are also decent).

Congrats to those who made the top 100 and further congrats to the top 10.

Good to see Kooinda boys in there. Have had a drink with at least 2 of those blokes and would do again. Love their flagship and could do a black IPA again with no trouble. Most of all though - they are as genuine craft brewing people as you can get.

Big ups Fents and co.

I'm not bitching with any in the top listing. Well done Kooinda (and Hop Hog)

Didn't think you were bitching (if that's a response to my post - many beers on days off can lead to misinterpretation).

I hold a glass of stuster's lambic to your good health sir.

that stone and wood come first shows that the bland flavourless beer culture is well and truly alive in australia. for what its worth i put moon dogs cofee and rasberry amber ale at the top of my list, it was interesting and very very drinkable.

1. Stone and Wood Brewing Co - Pacific Ale

I've had one glass of this, on tap at The Oaks in Neutral Bay.... and I really, really didn't like it. It tasted like someone had given me a shandy - but instead of lemonade, they'd used passiona. I love fruity hops - but it seriously tasted like someone had added passionfruit syrup...

Is that what it's supposed to taste like, or should I try another one?

I don't like stone and wood much myself but at least it wasn't fosters owned matilda bay fat yak that came first (or JS golden fifty spankings amarilloless ale).

@pyrosx - galaxy is the main (only?) hop in S&W. I'm not a fan personally but it tastes like passionfruit and lots of people love that.

4. 4 Pines Brewing Company - Kolsch

interesting but, I see 4 Pines did rather well over all.

Pacific Ale is not a beer I voted for but if you have a look around here at the way it is generally received the beer is a deserving winner. Congrats, Hargie.

Congrats to Kooinda as well.

I think all 5 of my votes ended up in the list this year. Can you imagine such a thing?!

[EDIT: Oops! Missed one. Phew!]

S&W :beerbang:
McLaren Vale nominations :icon_vomit:

all the rest acceptable, besides 4 pines (rubbish)

cheers

I'm sure I remember a tweet from the taphouse guys saying that for 4pines were running some kind of competition/reward if you voted for them...

that stone and wood come first shows that the bland flavourless beer culture is well and truly alive in australia. for what its worth i put moon dogs cofee and rasberry amber ale at the top of my list, it was interesting and very very drinkable.
I think you've just had one that's been handled poorly. Unfortunately there have been a number of others with similar complaints and it's not just the one brewery. Many others have had bad experiences with the 4 pines and Murrays, yet both also produce fantastic beers. The Pacific Ale when fresh / handled properly is anything but bland, the tartness of the wheat and dominant late hopping with Galaxy hops is quite flavoursome.

Not sure I'd rate it #1 personally but certainly one of the top 10 beers made in Australia.

I think this poll is a good representation of craft beer in Australia and don't think it's a shock that widely distributed beers get more votes. If the poll was a about the "best crafted" beer it'd be based on formal judging but instead it's just a simple "tick and flick" representation from mostly unqualified judges. In that regard it seems reasonably accurate to me.

Pacific Ale is not a beer I voted for but if you have a look around here at the way it is generally received the beer is a deserving winner. Congrats, Hargie.

Congrats to Kooinda as well.

I think all 5 of my votes ended up in the list this year. Can you imagine such a thing?!

[EDIT: Oops! Missed one. Phew!]

...Thanks bum, , much appreciated mate.......we don't actively do anything about these type of awards, we don't enter competitions etc so to top the poll is great , and is obviously very cool...we are all very humbled that enough punters think enough of our beer to get us up the list and thanks to those who may have gone to the trouble of voting for us...we are all chuffed and very appreciative...thank youse...and if anyone wants to know, neither i or any of the other guys , to my knowledge, voted in this poll and we had no 'vote for us' campaign to the point where i didnt know about it until Jayne Lewis from Two Birds sent me a congrats text this evening...
As cool as this is (and it is) it wont however change anything for us, we'll just stay head down bum up trying to make our beer the best we can and try desperately to keep up with demand...

...Thanks guys for all the support out there and also thanks for the occasional brickbat which keeps us on our toes and lets us know where we might need to do things better....hope you all have had a great Oz Day, and heres cheers to Oz Craft Beer in general, may it continue to strengthen, evolve, diversify, confound, amuse, enlighten and delight us all ...!!!

Rock On \m/

Scott

Back