Australias Hottest 100 Poll 2011

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely not a perfect way to rate beers but ill take #53!

After all my beer is only on at a handful of pubs and 2 of them are in Ipswich!
Agreed, at least the word is getting out :icon_cheers:

i can not believe bright ale is 31...
A beer much worse that TED
23. Malt Shovel Brewery - James Squires Golden Ale
Bilge water

i can not believe bright ale is 31...

I can

Light , easy drinking slightly fruity ale, perfect kind of beer for OZZy climate.
Not my first choice of beer by a long shot, but its well made, slightly different to the masses and fairly consistent.

It's a popular vote. That's what you get.

Hell, islamists just won majority in Egyptian democratic elections.

Well done those who do well. If I like your beer, or haven't tried it, I will drink it. If I don't like it, even if you come first or second, I'll drink something else.

It's a popular vote. That's what you get.

Hell, islamists just won majority in Egyptian democratic elections.

Well done those who do well. If I like your beer, or haven't tried it, I will drink it. If I don't like it, even if you come first or second, I'll drink something else.

True, but that beer gives all craft beers a very bad reputation (it was a good beer once).
Honestly better than Hargreaves Hill Brewing Company - ESB, FFS.

All the bottling issues/handling issues/whatever issues that people report on craft beer also give it a bad rep.

It's unfortunate but think back 20 years ago if there could have even been a hottest 50 in AU.

There'll be a lot of beers on there I think don't deserve their spot - I think Stone and wood came close to the top or top in last year's (or a poll just like it) and I personally have found that beer to be very bland and uninteresting. May have been the state of the bottles I drank or the fact I don't like galaxy or both. Point is though that plenty of other people disagreed and that is their right in such a situation. I don't find JS golden (or fifty sadomasochistic whippings or whatever stupid name it has now) very exciting at all unless I'm at a party where the choice is hahn light or JS BUT:

If we think Murrays or feral or whichever smaller brewery deserve their place on the list, then so do JS or LC, even if we are not fans ourselves (actually I really like LC and I am a fan of JS IPA and Porter unless they've changed those recently).

yes i used to enjoy bright ale. drank it by the jug load while fighting the quokkas for a glass at the rottnest arms.

now its a summer ale.... or LC's VB so to speak.

well done though to the guys for having a few beers on there.

I had a hargraves hill pale ale. Not my thing at all.

True, but that beer gives all craft beers a very bad reputation (it was a good beer once).
Honestly better than Hargreaves Hill Brewing Company - ESB, FFS.
As manticle says though, this is not the top 100 beers as voted by craft brewers, homebrewers or beer judges. This is the 100 most popular beers as judged by the average Australian beer drinker.

As manticle says though, this is not the top 100 beers as voted by craft brewers, homebrewers or beer judges. This is the 100 most popular beers as judged by the average Australian beer drinker.

I can see where the whole list is going even if I don't agree with the voting but that is a glaring (shithouse) exception.
Sigh, its what you get though with a voting system like this - except for that result its been pretty good and interesting.
Edit: Well done Taphouse, CP and Matt.

i say the poll is a good indicator that aussies are becoming more aware of the better range and styles of beer on the market. and i think that is a good thing. That the megaswillers need to lift there game.

Really I think that the only way to get an indication (and it would still be just that - an indication) of the more well received beers relevant to 'craft' beer lovers would be to limit the voting to independent breweries only.

This is not to say that large commercial, global, multinational companies can't own breweries that make fantastic beer (look at hoegaarden grand cru) - just equalises the field and brings it back to craft.

If you don't do that, you will get bigger breweries who make nice enough beer that enough people have heard of and are interested in enough to vote. I'd vote your Acerola Tarwe above Matilda Bay (well probably - haven't tried any but I don't really like MB and I'd pick out an acerola beer or saison or whatever before I grabbed a fat yak at a bottle shop) but how many others would? Make something judge by popular vote and popular vote is not only what you get, but what you have to accept.

Really I think that the only way to get an indication (and it would still be just that - an indication) of the more well received beers relevant to 'craft' beer lovers would be to limit the voting to independent breweries only.

This is not to say that large commercial, global, multinational companies can't own breweries that make fantastic beer (look at hoegaarden grand cru) - just equalises the field and brings it back to craft.

If you don't do that, you will get bigger breweries who make nice enough beer that enough people have heard of and are interested in enough to vote. I'd vote your Acerola Tarwe above Matilda Bay (well probably - haven't tried any but I don't really like MB and I'd pick out an acerola beer or saison or whatever before I grabbed a fat yak at a bottle shop) but how many others would? Make something judge by popular vote and popular vote is not only what you get, but what you have to accept.

Your point, it has been fun (mostly) so far. :icon_cheers:

Mate if I actually listened to the songs that made JJJ hottest 100 I'd probably eat my glass. Then if I listened to a more commercial or nostalgic (commercial) station I'd probably shit that glass out and use it to slit my wrists.

I like strange, often unpopular stuff that I believe has a genuine quality to it - food, music, beer etc. I gave up long ago worrying about why the general population seem to like mostly dross because there's sweet bugger all I can do about it. People around me still believe in a magic fairy who made the world in less than a week from some bum fluff and a piece of earwax. That was before Macguyver came on the scene too.

We like good stuff. If some of our good stuff gets recognition, raise a glass. Forget the others.

As for fun.............. FUN? WHAT FUN?

I have a husband you know............... he's just up the stairs.

Ive found the list to be very fun today, repeatedly coming back to have a look. They have done a good job, my only annoyance is the rate at which they are revealing the results...I'm sick to death of waiting lol!
But thats my problem...
Cant wait to see what the top 10 are, there have been some big beers this year that I think will rate high (hopefully)!

:D
Macguyver used a paper clip (what came first).
I'm still waiting for Spank Rock to come up :super:

im currently listening to the JJJ hottest 100 and there is a good range of music but wtf is with them and kayne!! **** dubstep...

Top ten starts,
I can see the marketing departments influences starting to come to the fore.
Vale/Ale for #1 again??

Back