Australia's burning again

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tavas

Reaction score
Got notified late yesterday to not go to work today as we have to drive down Albany Highway. Large fire burning parallel to the highway.

Looking at the Sentinel website, there's a fair bit of fire around the country.

Stay safe everyone. With the dry winter in WA, I think this is start of a bad season.

http://sentinel.ga.gov.au

Yeh, its going to be another bad or worse fire season. With less and less winter burning off going on (Due to Paperwork & Greens Voters), the dead fuel is just getting out of control. Be prepared those of you living in bushland areas, take advantage of the 10/50 clearing rule before its changed again.

Yeah, the record temperatures and low rainfall have nothing to do with the fire season, it's all greens voters fault....

But yeah, looks like a bad one.

shaunous said:
You burn off in winter, you don't get bad fires in Summer. Simple really.
Not that simple the window for burning off is actually getting smaller each year, in VIC we've already had some bad fires and traditionally there is still controlled burns happening. Well up until last week. I'll try to find it but there was a report released in the last couple of weeks detailing how the fire seasons are starting to overlap as they are getting longer northern to southern hemisphere so things like sharing equipment and expertise, for instance Elvis the skycrane helicopter are getting harder to do. Interesting and scary report.

shaunous said:
You burn off in winter, you don't get bad fires in Summer. Simple really.
Sound , sensible and intelligent .

spog said:
Sound , sensible and intelligent .
For every complex problem there is a solution that is clear, simple... And wrong. (H. L Mencken)

Back burning is one part of a comprehensive fire management strategy and, for those that reflexively (and lazily, and ignorantly) blame the greens for lack of burning, their policy explicitly states that they support back burning as part of an integrated strategy. I believe they are the only major part with an explicit policy in this area. I could post a link but you'll never read it.

I'm going to exit this thread before it devolves into another interminable city vs country fight. I shall **** off in my prius to have another skinny, soy, fat, long, flat, short, black, macciato late while tutting disapprovingly at the ignorant yokels who chose to live a primitive existence outside of the inner city. Or something. Whatever.

I think they should consider changing their name to the Beige party.
Far less inflammatory and divisive.
At least they'd only look like boring imbeciles instead of - all the implications the word green seems to conjure up - imbeciles.

I always insist on a squirt of diesel in my macciato when I'm out west.

Airgead said:
For every complex problem there is a solution that is clear, simple... And wrong. (H. L Mencken)
Back burning is one part of a comprehensive fire management strategy and, for those that reflexively (and lazily, and ignorantly) blame the greens for lack of burning, their policy explicitly states that they support back burning as part of an integrated strategy. I believe they are the only major part with an explicit policy in this area. I could post a link but you'll never read it.
I'm going to exit this thread before it devolves into another interminable city vs country fight. I shall **** off in my prius to have another skinny, soy, fat, long, flat, short, black, macciato late while tutting disapprovingly at the ignorant yokels who chose to live a primitive existence outside of the inner city. Or something. Whatever.
Yep fair enough, but I cry horseshit......a comprehensive fire management strategy is lessened by reducing the fuel load. It lessens the load of fuel therefore the expected load upon the representative authority ....simple.
City v country.....Meh.
And.........**** the Greens.

Not only farmers vote for Nats. Also our nationals member is doing great, including buying back all the major CSG and Mining licenses around our area. Soooooooooo...

And spot on Spog.

Don't live in tree's, do burn in winter.

I get extremely annoyed when state governments control their respective fire fighting agencies yet we still have a state like SA that pour our money into the arts and other "fringe" interests every year yet completely ignore the fact that this money could be used to purchase Elvis type aircraft.

I watched during the last fire that threatened Port Lincoln was put out literally in minutes once Elvis arrived.
We, as a community were very lucky as this aircraft had been sitting is Adelaide after assisting with fires in the Adelaide hills.
Had it had been in Victoria where it is normally based, it may have been a different and very tragic outcome that day.

Not detracting from the marvelous efforts of our fire fighters and the small aircraft that assist if each state had two of these Elvis machines many outcomes from these fires may be entirely different.

I am sure that the members of any family who's loved one has died in recent bushfires would gladly swap an revamped footy ground or a fortnite of fringe entertainment to buy an Elvis or two that is state owned.

Insurance companies could also be asked to assist seeing that it must cost them collectively many millions of dollars each time one of these fires occurs.

Rant over, I am off to work

It seems strange that every year we need Elvis and his brothers yet haven't bought one of our own. Must be some significant costs in shipping them over each time.

dicko said:
I get extremely annoyed when state governments control their respective fire fighting agencies yet we still have a state like SA that pour our money into the arts and other "fringe" interests every year yet completely ignore the fact that this money could be used to purchase Elvis type aircraft.

I watched during the last fire that threatened Port Lincoln was put out literally in minutes once Elvis arrived.
We, as a community were very lucky as this aircraft had been sitting is Adelaide after assisting with fires in the Adelaide hills.
Had it had been in Victoria where it is normally based, it may have been a different and very tragic outcome that day.

Not detracting from the marvelous efforts of our fire fighters and the small aircraft that assist if each state had two of these Elvis machines many outcomes from these fires may be entirely different.

I am sure that the members of any family who's loved one has died in recent bushfires would gladly swap an revamped footy ground or a fortnite of fringe entertainment to buy an Elvis or two that is state owned.

Insurance companies could also be asked to assist seeing that it must cost them collectively many millions of dollars each time one of these fires occurs.

Rant over, I am off to work
Well said.

HaRumph!!!

Local fireys cannot even burn roadsides anymore because do-gooders put a stop to that, how do they go back-burning every year, well, they hardly burn a thing. Then they have to run around like idiots putting out fires in +40*c heat, and the cycle continues every year.

Look after our own house/land is basically all you can do now.

But but but- the greens have a policy. Pigs arse, they have been very vocal for many years in preventing burning off citing the animal losses. Newsflash fuckwits, a build up of fuel load from lack of burning results in very large and extremely intense fires that kill a lot more than regular low to moderate intensity bushfires.

Latest posts

Back