Australian SS Conical Fermenters?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dteahan

Reaction score
Afternoon,

Can anyone point me in the direction of any locally manufactured circa 30l stainless steel conical fermenters (or any of European / German Origin) Ala a Brewtech Chronical?

Yes, I have searched but not had much luck finding non-Chinese built rigs.

Nothing constructive to add but would like to know the answer.

Australian made would be a struggle unless it's custom. Braumeister make 30 litre conicals that grain and grape sell out of melbourne. They aren't cheap, and look like they come with threaded ball valves. You'd be better off importing a spike conical out of the usa.

Grain and grape in Melbourne have German made SS fermenters , some aren't pressure rated though. Furphy engineering in Victoria manufacture fermenters. They will be expensive. SS Brewtech fermenters are made in China also. Spike are probably also made in China.

Thanks - I’ll check out Furphy and G&G. Yes Brewtech are made in China but I will enquire about the Spike fermenters. Would prefer to support local though.

Grain and grape in Melbourne have German made SS fermenters , some aren't pressure rated though. Furphy engineering in Victoria manufacture fermenters. They will be expensive. SS Brewtech fermenters are made in China also. Spike are probably also made in China.

Spike are definitely made in the USA. He's pretty vocal about trying to keep everything locally manufactured. I really wish we had something locally manufactured like it at a reasonable price.....i'll keep dreaming....

Spike are definitely made in the USA. He's pretty vocal about trying to keep everything locally manufactured. I really wish we had something locally manufactured like it at a reasonable price.....i'll keep dreaming....
What they do is import it from China then fix up the welding and add outlets on and make it look really nice then bung Made in USA on it.
It isn't very honest but there is a critical size factor of the fermenters where it isn't economical for them to make it in the USA. Like car
manufacturing , small items don't make any money . Big fermenters may be made in the USA ( this came from someone in the industry).

Last edited:
Almost anything small in stainless is made in China. I’m not sure why you would even bother looking for something that isn’t?
I have two Guten Conicals and they are fine for what they are.
when I looked at the Brewtech stuff and saw it was the same, I thought why bother?
as for the Spike stuff - yep looked at them but shipping from the US made it a stupid idea and they look very much like the Chinese stuff.
i learnt that with the GF G30, pay top $ bit still chinese

@Kenf - I'm simply being more conscious about where the money is flowing given the increasing belligerence of China . If there is a local viable alternative I would like to explore it.

@Kenf - I'm simply being more conscious about where the money is flowing given the increasing belligerence of China . If there is a local viable alternative I would like to explore it.
Fully understand - unfortunately there not much in the way of alternatives

With raw materials, part, tools, and many other things made all over the world, its very hard to get fully local made goods.

Does the steel have to be local, how about the ore, and trace elements for alloying?
Does the water jet used to cut the steel sheet? The roll forms?
How about the welding equipment?
What if the person who welded it drove a Toyota to get to work?
Are you OK if a non Assuie drives the truck that gets it to you?

Its great that we try to buy local when and where we can, and we should! However, don't be forget about all the things that are in the production chain that each make it a little less locally made.

We all see stickers on things that say "Australian Made" or "Product of Australia ". Know the difference between the labels and which one is 'more Australian" ?

draakken , taking the argument to the extreme length , is that coming from an industry point of view given you have just joined ?
I think if you call yourself a manufacturer in an industry , then the most important element is the assembly or making of the product
where that happened. In my example, given the fermenter was just about complete when imported and they were fixing the faults and
adding value, I think that is pretty clear . You can state on your product made from imported and local products. Someone can then try
and compete against you with only local raw materials but they are probably going to be more expensive but at least everyone is being
up front not trying to get an unfair advantage with expensive items made from and by a cheaper source.

i am not an industry person.

Was just trying to point out how hard it is to truly get local made products. Might have taken it a bit too extreme trying to make the example.

@draakken - fully understand that the logistics chain can be long winded and providence of something challenging to pin what is 'local'. My enquiry was based on the fact that steel is a common base commodity available and manufactured in Australia, we have a fairly strong craft brewing culture so there may be a market. Of items one could choose to seek a local alternative to a steel fermenter is more likely than say an electronic item where we simply don't have the local capabilities.

So who's the tosser that complained and got my post deleted? PM me if you have an issue with my comments. I'm sure you wont have the balls to do it in public.

Just saw a you tube video from Keg King, their plastic range of fermenters are made in Australia, tested to 5 bar. Not stainless but a possible alternative. I have not used them.

Just saw a you tube video from Keg King, their plastic range of fermenters are made in Australia, tested to 5 bar. Not stainless but a possible alternative. I have not used them.
I’ve got the keg king plastic fermenter. 35Lt. Have done 2 brews in it and love it
I’ve also got 2 of the stainless Guten fermenters but I think the plastic ones are a better fermenter. The cone in the plastic one is steeper than the stainless (have a brand new MCH stainless fermenter that I’m thinking of selling)
The only thing that I can say to get with the plastic one is to get the jacket for it

Back