Australian sparkling ale recipe help!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danicomix

Reaction score
Hi, i'm an italian homebrewer and i'd like to brew an Australian sparkling Ale....can you help me for the recipe?
I've read that the common grist pilsner/pale half and half and some Crystal....it's correct? What about hops? I was thinking 60min/ 20 min / hopstand....
Can you suggest me recipe or something?
Thanks
Daniele

Coopers Sparkling is probably the benchmark, a remarkably simple beer and its pretty fair to say that the yeast makes it what it is.
Pretty much all Ale malt with just a smidge of Crystal (<0.5%) for hue correction, white sugar makes up about 15% of the extract.
OG around 1.058, bittered to about 25 IBU with Pride of Ringwood, if you cant get that go with one of the UK bittering hops, Target or Northern Brewer would work well.

Coopers only used Schooner malt for years, it got hard to get for awhile but its back now, here. In Europe it might be hard to find, Golden Promise would be a good enough substitute
Get some Coopers beer (same yeast in them all) and culture that if you can.
Mark

I've seen a range of numbers but Coopers would know so bitter to 30 IBU if you're making some.
Mind you some of the recipes out there are pretty weird.
The thing that makes this beer is its simplicity (and the yeast), Just the one bittering hop addition at about 60 minutes, you could push the boil out to 90 minutes and probably skip the Crystal. A SMASH version would be easy.
Mark

In "6 O'Clock Brews", Peter Symons says that Tim Cooper told him that Sparkling Ale has been all malt since 2010.

Back