Australian National Amateur Wine And Beer Show (anawbs) 2010

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to all the organisers, sponsors, judges, stewards and all involved. When my garage/brewery burnt down last year (some odd electrical short?) I lost my scout pen knife which I had since 1965. Also I lost the only home brew trophy which I had in the brewery, my Mash Paddle trophy from a few years. I thought that is it, no more "mash paddle". So being fortunate enough to gain a second mash paddle means a great deal to me. So thanks to all involved, to Steve who was the force behind the Mash Paddle Award at the beginning, and to th ANAWBS in general.
It has been a great comp for many years which has given invaluable feedback. Congratulations to Bryce, Michael, Brenton and to all who entered, well done.

wow..some big inconsistencies/differences between NSW judging and ANAWBS judging reflected in points given for the same beers..
I know there is a different scoring set up between the two but geez,beers that got nothing in the NSW comp are on top in the ANAWBS comp??..maybe it's the plastic cups aye? Anyway thanks to all the people who give up their own time to make these events happen it would not be possible without you guys.

I have to echo sned99's comments about the inconsistent scoring between beers entered in the NSW and ANAWBS comps...Beers that received a high score in one competition were bombed in the other and vice versa...No doubt I will have to wait for the arrival of the judges score sheets to see where the opinions differed...However thanks are due to all the guys who take time out to pour and judge our efforts...

Cheers
drmush :rolleyes:

Awesome -My RIS did so well it didn't even warrant a score!?

Put me down as a skeptic on the NSW state comp judging too.

The APA I entered in 3 comps, came 2nd in ESB cup & 2nd in ANAWBS but last place & woeful 34/100pts in NSW comp.

I cant help but think something went terribly wrong with the NSW comp, suspect beers were mixed up somehow.

ANAWBS puts on a good comp though & I am confident in their process to get things right. Will be entering again next year.

Cheers.

Awesome -My RIS did so well it didn't even warrant a score!?

Hi Rob, the bottle was broken in transit. We received 1 broken which was yours and 2 other bottles that had leaked (lids were loose). The PDF gets generated from our application so can't easily add that type of information. The paper work you receive in the mail will have it.

Cheers

Thanks to all the organisers, sponsors, judges, stewards and all involved. When my garage/brewery burnt down last year (some odd electrical short?) I lost my scout pen knife which I had since 1965. Also I lost the only home brew trophy which I had in the brewery, my Mash Paddle trophy from a few years. I thought that is it, no more "mash paddle". So being fortunate enough to gain a second mash paddle means a great deal to me. So thanks to all involved, to Steve who was the force behind the Mash Paddle Award at the beginning, and to th ANAWBS in general.
It has been a great comp for many years which has given invaluable feedback. Congratulations to Bryce, Michael, Brenton and to all who entered, well done.

Sorry to hear about your brewery Barry. I'm sure the mash paddle will be a suitable replacement!

mashpaddle.jpg

A great looking mash paddle Russ, far bigger than the old one. Thanks very much, greatly appreciated.

Well done barry

As to what some have mentioned about inconsistent scoring between comps who knows? all I can do is back my own judgement at the time and I am not about to second guess the ability of the other comp judges, so what can you do? certainly you don't want to start pointing fingers at anyone. I am not about to do my head in thinking about it anyway.
The same inconsistency is there between beers entered in sabsosa and anawbs and I am sure the same goes with Vic, Qld and WA.
It certainly is not above being questioned but what and who do you question? Maybe rather then beat yourself up over it just accept it and we all play our own part in improving everything involved in the competitions.

Looks like I was a lot more critical of two of barry's beers there then the judges in nsw were, I feel I write enough on the sheet for it all to speak for itself so what more can you do than that?
When I see the names now I see I have marked some brewers who I know are great brewers less then half marks should I have to take pause to question myself maybe? on reflection think I may have be heavy handed in marking down too much or scored perhaps a tad high? at the end of the day you have to trust your own judgement and ability or you maybe should not be there.

Anyway, Bryce's R.I.S was fantastic :super: and the standard overall at anawbs is great, a joy to judge.

Just a suggestion for anawbs, I think in the results sheet with the catergories with mutliple styles in them it would be good to have what each beer was.

Congratulations to all the winners and a big thank-you to the organisers and stewards.

Cheers

Jimmy

Jase, you just judge the beers as well as you can each time. Beer judging is subjective, like all judging. Write down what you see, what you smell, what you taste, what you think (as stated by a far more experienced brewer and judge than me). Beers also change in reality and/or perception with distance traveled, temperature extremes, position in judging, time, interpretations , etc, etc, etc,
In the past I have tracked my beers from comp to comp. Ranged from extremely consistent to extremely inconsistent. So what is the conclusion? Too many variables. Read the judging sheets and take a consensus.
Home brewers and judges are good people, and the same people.

Latest posts

Back