Australian malt European standards

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One reason our malts have such high diastatic power compared to, for example, UK Ale Malts.
They can convert a shedload of rice.

I guess that's what the big buyers want. I would pay the difference to buy it from australia

Hi all, interesting discussion.
My family have been malt barley producers for the past 75 years. Last season we had some schooner variety malt(which many farmers have abandoned due to to better yielding varieties such as gairdner, buloke, flagship and commander) recent talks with maltsters have led me to believe that they are now discovering that some of the other malts don't have the same level of diastatic power as schooner.
Cut a long story short I've taken 5tonne of our own grown 2013 schooner barley to be malted to 7ebc. It's without a doubt the best barley to come of our Property. Not due to be malted until later this month, so a little unsure of how it will actually perform. Almost all of it is already presold to a selection of smaller craft breweries.
Depending on the feedback I may aim to open up presale orders for next year of base malts in different variety and specs.
Of this current batch of 2013 schooner malt I will have a few spare 25kg bags not yet allocated. Pm me if your interested in giving it a crack.

Nice work! Good to see local ingredients going to local producers. Exactly what I'm working towards down here.
Where are you getting that malted?

Powells, but exploring the possibility of setting up a small floor malting facility on farm.
Where are you based?

I'm in Launceston. Not quite up and running yet but very close.
I'd love to have a chat about farm based malting some time though.

disco stu said:
Depending on the feedback I may aim to open up presale orders for next year of base malts in different variety and specs.
Of this current batch of 2013 schooner malt I will have a few spare 25kg bags not yet allocated. Pm me if your interested in giving it a crack.
Definitely interested - will it be something we can organise to get transported to Vic (postage/delivery paid for by me)?

I'm sure there would be a couple of Vic brewers that would be happy to split a bag and do a batch or so each.

I'm happy to be an Adelaide Proxy if enough south lads and grain is avalible - no profit just a service :D

Latest posts

Back