Australian Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgw86

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was after some feedback on an Australian Premium Lager recipe that I was going to brew. I want this lager to be a session beer.

I am looking at using the following ingredients for this recipe. This will be done with a 12L boil and then topped up to 21L in the fermenter.

2KG Briess Pilsen Light Dry Malt
500G Dextrose
100G Crystal Malt (60L)

Pride of Ringwood Hops - Target IBU of 25?

W-34/70 or S-23 or S-189 Yeast? Fermented at 10C or 12C?

I grabbed the Crystal Malt from a few other posts suggesting it. Having never used Crystal Malt before what I can expect from it and how much should I be looking at using?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Cheers,

Sam.

With that amount of malt extract for that kind of recipe I probably wouldn't use any crystal.

Otherwise 100g would be the max I would go. You want a dry, sessionable lighter bodied kind of a beer and crystal will work against that.

Ferment temp at the lower end of the specified range for a cleaner result. I've never used any of those dried lager yeasts so can't recommend but people speak well of s-189

With that amount of malt extract for that kind of recipe I probably wouldn't use any crystal.

Otherwise 100g would be the max I would go. You want a dry, sessionable lighter bodied kind of a beer and crystal will work against that.

Ferment temp at the lower end of the specified range for a cleaner result. I've never used any of those dried lager yeasts so can't recommend but people speak well of s-189

Thanks for the info manticle.

So I am guessing fermenting @ 10C would be best.

If anybody has other suggestions for Extract recipes for a nice Aussie Lager would be great to get them posted up.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Sam.

Each yeast will have a recommended temp range. I'd be surprised if none of them performed at 10 but check before use. If they work at that temp, then 10 will be fine.

Looks Ok to me.

Weather you use just one addition or use some POR late in the boil too.

S-23 will ferment out pretty clean even at 15 deg, You can fake a lager with US-05 kept at 16 deg or so. I do a nice OZ lager with POR and cluster at 45 min and cluster at 10 min. with 100 crystal and 100 light grain steeped in, This converts over to a nice pale ale as well. I use mainly coopers DME and Morgans cans of pale.

Cheers

Looks Ok to me.

Weather you use just one addition or use some POR late in the boil too.

S-23 will ferment out pretty clean even at 15 deg, You can fake a lager with US-05 kept at 16 deg or so. I do a nice OZ lager with POR and cluster at 45 min and cluster at 10 min. with 100 crystal and 100 light grain steeped in, This converts over to a nice pale ale as well. I use mainly coopers DME and Morgans cans of pale.

Cheers

Thanks for the tips mate!

Cheers,

Sam.

Have done a bit more digging and from other posts it seems Cluster goes quite well with POR bittering.

For those that may be interested I have settled on the below recipe for a nice crisp clean Aussie Lager that I will be brewing in the next month or so. I will post back with how it turned out so that anyone else that is interested in brewing will have some idea.

I have decided to leave out the Crystal...though was considering throwing in 100G CaraPils for a bit of body (will try this at a later date)

Extract (21L)

500G Dextrose
20G Pride of Ringwood Hops (9.8% AA) @ 60min
10G Cluster (7.9% AA) @ 10min

S-23 @ 10C

Have done a bit more digging and from other posts it seems Cluster goes quite well with POR bittering.

For those that may be interested I have settled on the below recipe for a nice crisp clean Aussie Lager that I will be brewing in the next month or so. I will post back with how it turned out so that anyone else that is interested in brewing will have some idea.

I have decided to leave out the Crystal...though was considering throwing in 100G CaraPils for a bit of body (will try this at a later date)

Extract (21L)

500G Dextrose

S-23 @ 10C

I agree with manticle, 100g Crystal would be too much, but I wouldn't leave it out altogether. 30g would rock!

I like the rest of the recipe.

QldKev

I agree with manticle, 100g Crystal would be too much, but I wouldn't leave it out altogether. 30g would rock!

I like the rest of the recipe.

QldKev

30G? Are you able to tell me exactly what Crystal will add to the beer? 30G seems like not much at all?

Sounds good. Will be like a cross between Carlton and Castlemaine. If you're not bottling, make sure you get it super-clear and bright as it's a prerequisite of Aussie Lagers.

30G? Are you able to tell me exactly what Crystal will add to the beer? 30G seems like not much at all?

Your trying to get a hint of caramel/toffee, without the raisin flavours coming out to strong.

Sounds good. Will be like a cross between Carlton and Castlemaine. If you're not bottling, make sure you get it super-clear and bright as it's a prerequisite of Aussie Lagers.

Nick,

Currently I Cold Condition for 7 days @ 1C which to me provides a fairly clear beer (nothing as clear as your bottled Carlton). This will also be kegged and carbed up to 2.7.

I have also edited the recipe as per suggestions from manticle and Kev.

Extract (21L)

30G Crystal Malt (60L)
500G Dextrose

S-23 @ 10C

Latest posts

Back