Australian IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Three Sheets

Reaction score
I'm sure this would have been raised before but has anyone experimented trying to make an IPA using extract/goo with Pride of Ringwood and Galaxy Hops? I open to all options and the addition of other types of hops.

I'm an IPA fan love both English and American styles so figured there is an Australian one out there.

Cheers.

I tasted an ipa made by a couple of Perth fellows at a WCB meet using that combo and it was stellar. I was shocked to hear the hop bill. If it were me, I'd use another hop instead of por, on principle.

Bizier said:
I tasted an ipa made by a couple of Perth fellows at a WCB meet using that combo and it was stellar. I was shocked to hear the hop bill. If it were me, I'd use another hop instead of por, on principle.
Anti lupis poris xenaphobia

Back to the original question, three sheets, you've seen my galaxy IPA recipe. Haven't yet tasted it, but the keg should be getting rolled into the fridge in a week or two. I think it's going to be quite good!

POR is a good bittering. Just be carefull not to overdo it.

Dont know why a lot of brewers have a thing against POR.

My fav beer is a pale bittered with POR and flav with SAAZ

I actually enjoy POR it has a floral spiceyness like most other base bittering hops. Its not a flavour hop and hasnt got much aroma. But is useful as a base hop.

manson81 said:
Back to the original question, three sheets, you've seen my galaxy IPA recipe. Haven't yet tasted it, but the keg should be getting rolled into the fridge in a week or two. I think it's going to be quite good!
I think it will be quiet good too.

I have my second Galaxy pale ale approaching the fridge. These are the 17 litre fresh wort kits from ESB. I've tweeked both. After the first one I'm a fan of Galaxy.
I guess I could beef one of these up and call it an Australian IPA?

But, is just using one or 2 Aussie hops fair enough to consider it unique enough (in this instance?). If it is 7% and 70 BU, that is the US west coast style. Go backwards for the UK style ... anyways I'm just asking a question, not expecting a vilification.

/// said:
But, is just using one or 2 Aussie hops fair enough to consider it unique enough (in this instance?). If it is 7% and 70 BU, that is the US west coast style. Go backwards for the UK style ... anyways I'm just asking a question, not expecting a vilification.
Well I do like the Galaxy so wonder how I could introduce POR into the equation. Do the two work together? Dry hoping etc.
Add some Australian malt extract and its unique enough for me.

Back