Australian IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to give this a crack. Ill report back with the recipe i go with

As posted elsewhere on the forum, fresh POR flowers are awesome.

Coopers yeast doesn't lend itself to IPA, so which yeast would you use if you were trying to be authentic?

Here is what im going with:

Hoppin' Hedhogs, Harold!

23L Batch, 7L boil

Barrett Burston Caramalt - 180g
4.0KG ADME

Hop schedule: (im a massive hop head..)
PoR - 8.7%
Galaxy - 12.7%

15g Galaxy @ 35
20g PoR & Galaxy @ 30
20g PoR @ 20
20g PoR and Galaxy @ 15
20g Galaxy @ 10
30g PoR @ 10
25g Galaxy @ 5

Dry hop 20g galaxy @ Day 2, 10g PoR Day 4.

Yob said:
Why doesn't it?
I used Coopers yeast with a 450 gram 20 minute addition of Stella hops a couple of months ago and the flavour just isn't there the way it is with something like US05.
My standard for testing yeast at the moment is a can of Coopers lager, 30 grams of Cara-aroma, 50 gram of Dwarf at flameout and 50 gram dry hopped, total of 19 litres.
My first batch was done with a wine yeast and came out extremely floral, much like having a mouth full of perfume. Second batch was done with Notto and I can barely taste the hops. Currently have a batch in the ferment vessel with 1010.
Has there ever been an Aus IPA?

I only ferment at ambient Yob. I'm doing my IPA type brews at the moment and will be brewing beers with a yeasty ester profile in the warmer months.
The above would have been fermented at the low to mid teens, but I have done Coopers yeast at warmer temps and it just doesn't hold hop flavour.

Hmm.. interesting points here. I found this thread when researching Pride of ringwood and galaxy hop combinations.

So has anyone that has made similar actually tasted one of these?

I am going to attempt a super-bastardised sparkling ale-ish inspired (I hope that protects me from the flames) brew today. I didn't really think it through, I just found myself at the brew shop and bought a basic grain bill that I thought would vaguely hit that malt profile (mainly pils, bit of carapils and bit of dex). The main idea was to make something to use up this last little bit of POR and trial pitching recultured coopers yeast.

Was thinking bitter with POR and flavour, aroma with Galaxy and seeing what happens.

If no one else has tried this stuff I'll report back at some point when I've tasted it.

Cheers,
Al

I'm going to call this style 'Australian Republican Sparkling Experiments'

I wanted an Australian Pale Ale as my 'House' beer, more for patriotic reasons than anything else. While doing still doing kits, I came up with the following:

1 tin Copper Pale Ale
1kg ADME
200g Carapils
20g Galaxy @ 10 min
20g Galaxy dry hopped
Re-cultured Coopers yeast
Made up to 20L

Came out very nice indeed.

Since moving to AG, I've played around with brewing the AG version of this, the latest recipe is:

Parkes Road Pale Ale (Australian Pale Ale)
Original Gravity (OG): 1.051 (°P): 12.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 5.01 %
Colour (SRM): 4.8 (EBC): 9.5
Bitterness (IBU): 35.0 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
95.45% Pale Ale
4.55% Carapils (Dextrine)
0.5 g/L Pride of Ringwood (9% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1 g/L Galaxy (14% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
1 g/L Galaxy (14% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)
0.5 g/L Whirlfloc Tablet @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes
Fermented at 18°C with Coopers
Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Obviously both these are Pale Ales, rather than IPA's, but may give you a base to start from.

On the POR debate, I was a bit nervous using it, given it's bad rep and I didn't want that megaswill taste. However, as a bitering hop, I think it's great. Quite smooth bitterness, and, in the AG brew above, the faint earthy flavour that comes through counters the fruitiness of the Galaxy. So far, this brew has been a winner with megaswillers and craft beer drinkers alike. I'll start tweeking the grain bill next to get a bit more colour and touch more malt coming through.

This is a good thread.

I have made beer with Galaxy and POR. Also with Saaz and POR. With POR for bittering and the other hop for flavour.

I think I've managed to slightly overdo the hops both times. Both beers were good, but I thought they could be better.

I am inspired to try again. Thanks for the ideas.

Latest posts

Back