Australian International Beer Awards

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubes

Reaction score
I could only find this one and it is pretty light.

Anyone go alone last night?

How the hell did Fosters Lager score Silver and Steinlager score Bronze? Did they get to many samples in before they got to the Kiwi brews? :blink:

And JS Amber only got a bronze - so much for me thinking it was a top brew! Ah well, to each their own...
Cheers,
TL

Geez, Toohey's Extra Dry a Gold also ....what the !!!!!!!absolutely IMHO cats piss !!

JSB

My Thoughts exactly......... Me mate got a gold for his Chilli beer in Class 31 ????

very interesting.
does anyone know the criteria for entries?
eg there are quite a few american beers in this list of winners that as far as im aware are not available in the country so how on earth do they qualify?
eg rogues,dead guy etc.

cheers
big d

A few answers guys.
Firstly the story behind tooheys is it got a big score because it was a style based competion and the style was australian lager.
The guidelines for aussie lager say it should taste like cat piss etc.
So tooheys scored well because it tastes most like cat piss.
Get the idea.

Bigd it is a fully international comp for all breweries world wide.

Actually, theres a lot of controversy over this years event from what I've been hearing around town. Many small brewerys and distributors who entered there beers are up in arms. If you check out the list of judges its rediculous. Mostly all staff of CUB and Lion Nathan.

Last year saw more international judges, hence the better results last year.

I saw the list and I couldn't believe it. Has any of them past the BJCP or anything like that?
I don't think so.
It looks like all them breweries make tooheys dry etc.
Anyway i would say tooheys make the best mega swill that doesn't mean its a good beer though.

Hopefully someone who went might post here I know a couple people that went but the are not AHB guys.

Jayse

Guys,

Just to answer a few questions from what I observed from being a steward.

1. The comp is open to anyone who makes beer commercially. Overseas brewers ship their beer over to be entered into the comp. They received beers from 32 different countries and around 720 beers this year.

2. All the judges blind taste the beer and then compare what they taste according to the style guide. It's all about meeting the style of the category. I tasted some really good beers on the day, but they were no where near the style they were entered into, and so they get scored down.

3. A lot of beers would have scored higher had they been entered into the correct category. The problem is that a lot of the beers were entered by the importer, not the brewer, and so they take a bit of a stab in the dark at what style it should be entered under.

4. Yes, most of th judges are from the mega-breweries, but there were people from breweries like Bass (in the UK), Squire, Holgate and WIg & Pen.

5. Judges in Australia are not required to be certfied judges, and from what I could gather from my questioning, none of them had sat any exams. They were there because of industry experience.

6. Hopeye....everyone loved that Chilli beer from the lowliest of stewards to the highest of judges.

7. That Pelican that took the top award was VERY good.

im not a certified beer judge yet <_< and im the only arnhemland mega brewer around ;) .wonder where my invite got to.
oh well maybe next time.
they all missed my sea snake stout
bandy legged local pale ale ;) dark joke ;)
atsic ale
cane toads are coming lager
youll never never know if you never never get pissed porter
the trains a coming wit beer

and my all time favourite one visit here and youll be bock.

cheers
big d
chief brewer :lol:

I went on Friday & Saturday night. Have to agree with Wasabi about the Pelican - easily the best beer I tried.

I spoke to the Bintani guys (distributers of DCL yeasts in Aust.) who had a stall there and they said the Safale 56 (Wyeast 1056 strain) will be available at most homebrew stores by October.

I thought it was worth $35. I'll be going next year.

Hey Stratis did Bintani mention anything about the W-68 Bavarian Weissen yeast? DCL have been promising this yeast for over 2 years now!

The presidents of Cascade, Tooheys, Coopers and Carlton were at an
international beer wards. They decide to all go to lunch together
and the waitress asks what they want to drink.

The president of Tooheys says without hesitation......."I'll have a
Tooheys New."

The president of Cascade smiles and says......."I'll have a Cascade
Draught, brewed from pure mountain water!"

>The Carlton president proudly says "I'll have a Carlton, the King of
>Beers!"

The bloke from Coopers glances at his lunch mates and says, "I'll have a
Pepsi."

The others look at him like he has sprouted a new head. He just shrugs
and says, "If you blokes aren't drinking beer, then neither will I."

Rubes said:
Hey Stratis did Bintani mention anything about the W-68 Bavarian Weissen yeast? DCL have been promising this yeast for over 2 years now!
DCL announced a while ago that they couldn't get the W-68 strain to survive the drying process.

I'm not sure why they've still got it on their web page....

The awards were great!

We went on the Friday arvo and had a good round of tasting and talking. Willie Simpson gave a funny talk on why we shouldn't drink light beer, together with many stoppages for on the fly tastings. Interestingly Chuck Hahn was standing nearby and offered the view that the best way to make a light beer was to get a glass of good (Hahn) beer, add a fair bit of ice and wait 10 minutes. (no - seriously he did).

When I went through the awards there's a load of peculiarities. LCPA got about 20 mentions, in both draught and packaged, in IPA, PA and APA.

The Pelican was very good, the only problem was that you got such a small serve so you had to keep going back 20 or 30 times.

Finished the Friday night at St Arnou just to wash it all down.

Saturday night saw us at the James Squire Brewpub for dinner and many drinks. Wasabi travelled down from Ballarat Uni but had to leave early to get the last train home. He seems to be enjoying the course (he's doing the degree in Brewing at Ballarat Uni, lucky so and so)

Sunday proved to me that you can do a Tram and Brewpub tour in Melb. Never had to walk more than a block, tried about 10 different brews over the day.

Oh, Stratis - I saw a great big pack of Safale56 sitting on a shelf in the brew room at the Gunn Is brewery so they must already be using it in their Pale Ales.

See ya next year,

Trev

Back