Aust Coopers Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orangewhip

Reaction score
Hi All, first post here.

Ive put down an Oz Coopers Lager kit yesterday, my third brew, was unprepared so only added 1kg dextrose.

Anyway as I was brewing I thought this is a bit boring, Ive read a bit about adding hops etc so I have this question;
The brew has been in for 24 hours, Ive purchased some Nelson Sauvin hop pellets today. The LB shop advised to let the fermentation complete, steep about 15g of pellets in a cup of water for 15 mins and then strain the liquid into the wort. I have read a bit further today and some advise to add the liquid to the brew before fermentation complete, any thoughts/suggestions as to when I should add the liquid, is 15g enough for aroma and flavour?

ta

Hi All, first post here.

Ive put down an Oz Coopers Lager kit yesterday, my third brew, was unprepared so only added 1kg dextrose.

Anyway as I was brewing I thought this is a bit boring, Ive read a bit about adding hops etc so I have this question;
The brew has been in for 24 hours, Ive purchased some Nelson Sauvin hop pellets today. The LB shop advised to let the fermentation complete, steep about 15g of pellets in a cup of water for 15 mins and then strain the liquid into the wort. I have read a bit further today and some advise to add the liquid to the brew before fermentation complete, any thoughts/suggestions as to when I should add the liquid, is 15g enough for aroma and flavour?

ta

Either steep in hot water or play around with dry hopping (adding straight in). Fermentation can drive off a lot of volatile compounds which is why you might wait till fermentation finishes/slows. If adding straight in (you can also use a sanitised stocking or hopsock), allow 2 days, taste and see where you thin \k the flavour is. If you want more, wait 2 more days. Don't go crazy - dry hopping for too long can add unpleasant flavours, depending on the hop used, but 2-5 days with most hops I've used as dry hops has been fine.

15g dry hop is OK and sufficient to give you an indication of what to expect without being overpowering. 1 g per litre dry hop is my default. Many hopheads will go way oer that but while you're trying to learn what they do, I'd keep it subtle rather than extreme.

I have added 13gm cluster to a Coopers Lager at day 5 by using a small boil..500ml with hops boiled for 10 mins then strained into fermenter.
Came out quite nice...everyone liked it.
Simple way of adding a little extra to a simple brew. Dont know if NS really works in a lager.
Tried a Macs Hop Rocker the other day and didnt like what the hops brought to the mix....but each to there own. Never tried NS on its own, it may not have been the problem.

. Dont know if NS really works in a lager.

While not my preferred hop, knappstein lager uses NS so there is a commercial precedent.

I think the trick with fruity/new world hops in lagers is not to try and make it like a hophead pale/IPA type.

While not my preferred hop, knappstein lager uses NS so there is a commercial precedent.

I think the trick with fruity/new world hops in lagers is not to try and make it like a hophead pale/IPA type.

Well if thats the case I certianly dont think NS works in a lager. Knappstein is a bottle of wine makers piss....

Thanks everyone, I think I'll tread cautiously NS as it doesnt seem to be to everyones liking. Ill add the 13g using the small boil method. This might be a stupid question but do I stir it in or just leave it alone? Thanks again

just throw em in and let em do their thing.

Either steep in hot water or play around with dry hopping (adding straight in). Fermentation can drive off a lot of volatile compounds which is why you might wait till fermentation finishes/slows. If adding straight in (you can also use a sanitised stocking or hopsock), allow 2 days, taste and see where you thin \k the flavour is. If you want more, wait 2 more days. Don't go crazy - dry hopping for too long can add unpleasant flavours, depending on the hop used, but 2-5 days with most hops I've used as dry hops has been fine.

15g dry hop is OK and sufficient to give you an indication of what to expect without being overpowering. 1 g per litre dry hop is my default. Many hopheads will go way oer that but while you're trying to learn what they do, I'd keep it subtle rather than extreme.

Manticle I've just realised that a Fat Yak clone we are brewing has had the dry hops added (12 ish g of Cascade) at the start of the ferment instead of the recommended 4 day prior to bottling. I generally leave the brew in the barrel for two weeks. Could 12 g of Cascade result in the unpleasant flavours you speak of if they were in the brew for a fortnight? Maybe I should fish 'em out now? It's been 3 days since the yeast and dry hops went in.

Amazing how confusing some simple instructions can be when you add a few bevvies and a handful of onlookers to brew-day.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Some hops are more prone than others. If you can 'fish them out' while being entirely sanitary maybe. Otherwise you could leave them and see for yourself to know whether 12 days of cascade dry hop is too much for you. Best way to learn is by experience (in most circumstances - I don't recommend french kissing a taipan).

You can also taste the brew while it's conditioning which will give you an idea if unwelcome flavours are starting to appear - better than just taking the internet's word for it.

i am brewing a james squires the chancer golden ale as i type and i have been dry hoping cascade and amarillo in it for about 7 days now. i believe cascade and amarillo are very fruity hops and i dont think they will release too many unpleasent flavours,,,but im not quite sure what you are going for in your brew and in mine i need the overpowering fruity flavours..

i am brewing a james squires the chancer golden ale as i type and i have been dry hoping cascade and amarillo in it for about 7 days now. i believe cascade and amarillo are very fruity hops and i dont think they will release too many unpleasent flavours,,,but im not quite sure what you are going for in your brew and in mine i need the overpowering fruity flavours..

Thanks for the replies. I haven't done anything about it. I hope that Jake is right and that Cascade hops go OK. I'd fish the hop bag out but tonight I simply CBF. Maybe on Saturday. I won't be sorry if there is a strong floral nose to the beer. I'll let you know what I do and how it works out.

Back