Aussies Changing Brewing Techniques?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelbygreen

Crazy Clown
Reaction score
Listening to a podcast on nochill and they claim it comes from Australia, Not sure who or where this comes from but they seem to think its a new and controversial thing but its been around this forum for years.

I know that BIAB was formed here so, just wasnt sure of the origin of the nochill.

Where are we going to take it from here?? apart from the new brewmister builds and such :p

Listening to a podcast on nochill and they claim it comes from Australia, Not sure who or where this comes from but they seem to think its a new and controversial thing but its been around this forum for years.

I know that BIAB was formed here so, just wasnt sure of the origin of the nochill.

Where are we going to take it from here?? apart from the new brewmister builds and such :p
BIAB wasn't entirely formed here, I believe there was a version of it around in the UK sometime back (BribieG (or TareeG) can confirm, I could well be wrong), but I think it has been refined, revised and popularized here.

I'm pretty certain nochill was pioneered here, and despite it being around for a few years it is still no without controversy even here. Wouldn't be surprised if there was still some controversy around places where it was still a newer concept...

Quite right Ben, BIAB is a derivative of the late Dave Lines (UK), he pioneered a canvas- walled bag with a mesh floor (in >1 vessel) in the '70s, but BIAB as we know it today does indeed have its roots there. No- Chill seems to have an Australian pedigree though.

I thought this was going to be a thread about how aussie megabreweries manage to remove all flavour, but I guess megas\'s everywhere have that technique down pat.

I always believed BIAB as we know it was pioneered by James Squire in 2006 with help from PistolPatch and AndrewQld. It was in Australia at least...

See All In One Brewery

Well they say you learn something new everyday. Does anyone have any links re. David Lines and his BIAB. I'd like to read more on him but can't seem to find much other that he published a few books and he died at 37yo.

No chilling.

20100729coolship.jpg

I also strongly suspect that there were over the centuries quite a few cheese makers who when faced with trying to separate the grain from the wort would have logically used the same technique for getting curds from whey. CIAB.

Imposter......I invented it ! Along with the teabag.

Yours,

Prof. Bernard Ian Andrew Benjamin Tetley III

No chill was basically the process which ESB and St Peters were using for their fresh wort kits. I think Ray Mills introduced it to AHB but the IBU club were doing it for years before that. I would hardly claim that canning was invented in Australia, New but Canning wort maybe?
Tim

I always believed BIAB as we know it was pioneered by James Squire in 2006 with help from PistolPatch and AndrewQld. It was in Australia at least...

See All In One Brewery

Well they say you learn something new everyday. Does anyone have any links re. David Lines and his BIAB. I'd like to read more on him but can't seem to find much other that he published a few books and he died at 37yo.

"the big book of brewing" by Dave Line. First published 1985

If you cant find a copy let me know.

It would seem many homebrewers anywhere would have no chilled until they could afford the optional extras of wort chillers etc...to that extent, I think no chill would most likely be as old as beer itself. vikings, egyptians, chinese, all likely to have no chilled.

Back