Aussie Saaz And Czech Saaz... Differences?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.D.

Hop Whore
Reaction score
Hi all,

The other day I got some Aussie Saaz hops from my HBS. I've never seen these around before and I'm really keen to try them. I'm planning on doing a 100% bohemian pils with them in the next few weeks.

From what I hear they are the exact same plant as the Czech variety, but they look quite a bit different in the packet. Compared to some Czech saaz I had in the freezer, the Aussie ones are a much richer colour - almost khaki - while the Czech ones are a much lighter, almost iridescent green.

Which got me thinking... how does the growing environment affect the characteristics (like colour) of a hop variety? I would assume the Aussie saaz is fresher given that it hasn't passed through as many hands, but could that affect things like colour?

:beer:

I'm really no expert on this, so I'd like to hear, but my understanding was that the conditions here actually make it difficult to grow a low alpha hop - hence most Aussie (and Kiwi) hops are generally much higher in alpha acids than their European counterparts.

How much of this is down to environment and how much to commercial pressures I don't know.

Haven't tried the Saaz but i picked up some Aus Cascade yesterday from the same HBS (Gerard@ND), used them last night in an AIPA that used Cascade pretty extensively. Used some Aus cascade, NZ cascade flowers and US cascade along with some Simcoe, Nelson Sauvin and Magnum. The cascade smelt almost exactly the same as the US ones, the NZ ones were a bit more pungent, but then again, the alpha's were 4.2 for the US, 5ish for the Aussie and 8.2 for the NZ.

Time will tell how the beer comes out but it tasted and smelt pretty damn good from the kettle.

Which got me thinking... how does the growing environment affect the characteristics (like colour) of a hop variety? I would assume the Aussie saaz is fresher given that it hasn't passed through as many hands, but could that affect things like colour?

The colour of hops is also affected by the drying process. Hop processing also involves sulphur smoking, so depending on the temperature, duration, sulphur content, etc the colour could be almost any shade of green. I find my whole hops are almost impossible to tell apart by colour, except the really yellow high resin ones like Pride Plus.

Funny part for me is I'm becoming a bit of a convert to NZ hops... 5 Years ago I wouldn't have touched them with a 10 foot pole, save for Sticklebract which I kind of like.

I tried a few times to utilise NZ Saaz hop flowers in a couple of lagers only to have them taste like passionfruit concentrate and they were nothing whatsoever like their Czech counterparts.

They seem to be really improving these days and carving out their own niche. As for the Tassie Saaz? Not sure because I've never tried them. You'd have to expect them to be more like NZ Saaz rather than the Zaatec counterpart. :unsure:

Ask Ross... I think he's used virtually every hop known to mankind in every combination. :lol:

Warren -

I'd be very interested in this as well, as I've held off from stocking these home grown products. Which although much cheaper, my wholesaler tells me they haven't got the characteristics of the European grown hops & that they generally haven't been too well recieved by the micros here that have trialled them.

Cheers Ross

From what I hear they are the exact same plant as the Czech variety, but they look quite a bit different in the packet. Compared to some Czech saaz I had in the freezer, the Aussie ones are a much richer colour - almost khaki - while the Czech ones are a much lighter, almost iridescent green.

Chernobyll !?!?

I'd be very interested in this as well, as I've held off from stocking these home grown products. Which although much cheaper, my wholesaler tells me they haven't got the characteristics of the European grown hops & that they generally haven't been too well recieved by the micros here that have trialled them.
Cheers Ross

I have used most of the Aust grown varieties in quite a few different beers (commercially). The results were very impressive, but that doesn't mean they were any better or worse than the European varieties. I guess you have to try them in a brew you are familiar with to really appreciate the difference.
Cheers
Gerard

European hops are often aged for a year or so before they are used in brewing. I would be interested to know if the difference in flavour is mainly due to the difference in age (we tend to use the freshest hops available in home brewing), or whether it really is an agronomic difference.

Thanks for the replies guys. Its good to hear mostly positive views on the Aussie hop varieties. I also have aussie cascade, cluster and hallertau so I'll be giving them all a good run in the next few batches. I'll try and post my thoughts on these aussie varieties when I have tasted the results.

I just wondered if hops worked in a similar way to coffee beans, where the geography of where they are grown seems to be the most important factor influencing their characteristics. Sounds like its important but probably not as important as in the case of coffee.

I just wondered if hops worked in a similar way to coffee beans, where the geography of where they are grown seems to be the most important factor influencing their characteristics. Sounds like its important but probably not as important as in the case of coffee.

Mmmmm.... Medium City Roasted Guatemalan Fair Trade Saaz. B)

Warren -

TD

Could also work in a similar fashion to grapes and microclimates etc... I know that the finest Czech hops that are grown in the Zatec region of the Czech Republic where the soil is supposed to be very rich and red I believe. Also the conditions are supposedly close to ideal for hop growing.

Perhaps Zatec has good hop terroir? Here's a better link; :)

Zatec Hops

Warren -

Mmmmm.... Medium City Roasted Guatemalan Fair Trade Saaz. B)

Warren -

:lol: :lol:

Seriously though, brewing ingredients used as a coffee substitute is not that far fetched! An italian friend of mine tells me they use roasted wheat as a substitute for coffee in Italy. Its meant to be more of a digestif so not a perfect substitute for coffee. But apparently she said they grind it and make the drink in exactly the same way as coffeee! She said she will send me some to try. Wouldn't mind trying that with some home-roasted Joe White malted wheat though, could be interesting!! :D

TD

Could also work in a similar fashion to grapes and microclimates etc... I know that the finest Czech hops that are grown in the Zatec region of the Czech Republic where the soil is supposed to be very rich and red I believe. Also the conditions are supposedly close to ideal for hop growing.

Perhaps Zatec has good hop terroir? Here's a better link; :)

Zatec Hops

Warren -

I did think about this in a wine context actually. Grapes definitely take on different characteristics in different areas but some seem to be more variable than others. Sauvignon Blanc I think is one that varies greatly depending on the area it is grown. Chardonnay, maybe not so much (within reason). But yeah, I guess its probably fairly likely that the exact same thing occurs with hops. Don't quote me, but I think hops and grape vines are actually quite closely related aren't they?

Both hops and wine grapes are in oversupply as well!! The similarities are endless!!! :lol:

:lol: :lol:
they use roasted wheat as a substitute for coffee in Italy.

Yep, Piedemonte's our local continental grocer sells the stuff. Pretty certain I've also seen roasted barley as well used for a coffee sub. The bean and the grain certainly share a close working relationship. :beerbang:

Warren -

Back