Aussie Lager Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goatherder

Fancyman of Cornwood
Reaction score
I've got a family event coming up in a couple of months and I'm going to put a couple of kegs on. I'm planning a megaswill style Aussie lager cos it's going to be that kind of crowd.

Anyhow, I've done some reading and come up with a recipe. Am I on the right track?

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 46.00 L
Boil Size: 41.58 L
Estimated OG: 1.042 SG
Estimated Color: 6.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 20.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9 Grain 42.2 %
3.50 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.2 Grain 42.2 %
0.50 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBC)Grain 6.0 %
39.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [9.00%] (60 min) Hops 18.0 IBU
15.00 gm Cluster [7.00%] (10 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
0.80 kg Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (2.0 EBC) Sugar 9.6 %
3 Pkgs Saflager 34/70 Yeast-Lager

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge, Equal batches
Total Grain Weight: 7.50 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 22.50 L of water at 72.5 C 65.0 C 60 min

Goatherder, you could come up with lots of recipes and they will all go okay. The main thing is to get the brews down so that they have a few weeks to mature before the big one. If you serve them green beer then lookout.
For the record your recipe looks the goods. :D

looks good mate.

If you want it to mature a bit quicker make an Aussie pale ale with US-56

Mine got 1st place at NSW state comp last year and 4th at AABC.

your grain mill looks perfect!!! mine was 95% JW ale malt and 5% JW wheat.

I used POR flowers.... half at FWH nad the rest at 60 min. that was it. BRewed it with 1318 but US56 would be cool.

The small cluster addition wont hurt it at all.

cheers

I've made a heap of Aussie lagers and your recipe is spot on. I have used both ale and pils malts and can never tell the difference, so it gets whatever is lying around. Swapping the cluster for hallertau (plus 20gm at end of boil) lifts the brew beyond the front bar and is generally acclaimed by the mob. "Better than VB" they say. Is that a compliment?
If you are splitting the brew into two fermenters, try boiling up 20gm. hallertau in a pint of water for a minute or two and strain it into one fermenter and see if there is a difference.
The only other thing is I ran out of malted wheat about a year ago and have taken to throwing in 50gm. flour. I am getting very good head retention and no cloudiness.

cheers for the tips guys. i'm planning 4 weeks of lagering so it should be well and truly done by then.

cheers for the tips guys. i'm planning 4 weeks of lagering so it should be well and truly done by then.

Looks pretty good, but I agree with Tony - swap the cluster for hallertau
You could also swap some of the base malt for a bit of munich malt (eg. 500g) for a bit more flavour.

Yeah, I can see how it's easy to lose sight of the original goal.

GH wants an Aussie drinking beer for swillers, not an almighty comp winner.

Go for it, dude, and let us know how it comes out. You could always make them a Weizen and blow their minds, but that's off-track too. I know I'm an obsessive weisseOphile. watch gonna do?

One last suggestion: up to 20% sucrose is cool for an Aussie lager, and it might help get that malt flavour subdued, as I find it's hard to emulate the style with all that malt flavour getting in the way.

Seth out :p

Latest posts

Back