Aussie Blue Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_HOME_BREW_WALLACE_

Professional Drunken Yahoo!
Reaction score
I have been thinking about an Aussie Red Ale recipie for a month now

So far I have:

Aussie Blue Ale
22L
ABV 5ish%

85% BB Ale
5% BB caramalt
5% Wey Carared
5% Dextrose

Mash around 63-64

POR to about 40IBU @ 60mins
(not sure about late hops..... Let me know what you think)

Re-cultured Coopers Yeast @ 17-18 DegC

I'd love a bit of Input on the recipie (if its spot-on, needs a tweak, ect.......

Cheers,

_wallace_

10% crystals ... would nowk it back to 5% and use Choclate malt to lift the colour and add some complexity ...

Scotty

I'd personally drop the IBUs to 30ish (maybe because I no-chill? :ph34r: ) and throw in 1-2% roast (or choc malt, as suggested by Scotty).

Cheers,
tallie

Edit: PS Sounds like a good recipe idea though, might have to give it a go.

Sounds like an idea; however. Mashing low(ish) plus 5% dextrose plus highly-attenuating yeast...as long as you are confident that you want a thinnish body (even with 10% crystal) and a dryish finish. My personal feeling would be to go with either a low mash temperature or the 5% sugar. And perhaps dropping a 1% off each crystal and using a hint of choc or roast barley to colour up wouldn't hurt either.

Sounds like an idea; however. Mashing low(ish) plus 5% dextrose plus highly-attenuating yeast...as long as you are confident that you want a thinnish body (even with 10% crystal) and a dryish finish. My personal feeling would be to go with either a low mash temperature or the 5% sugar. And perhaps dropping a 1% off each crystal and using a hint of choc or roast barley to colour up wouldn't hurt either.

I actually thought about adding a touch (50g) of RB and halving the Carared and Caramalt. Doing that i will drop the hops down to about 30 IBU (which isn't really a problem) and up the mash temp to about 66C. I'd like the beer to finish around 1010-1015

Just one more pointer; Carared and Caramalt are both pretty light crystals, and in my experience Carared doesn't really do much in the way of redness. Caraaroma however! So perhaps 90% Ale, 5% Carared or Caramalt, 4% Caraaroma and 1% Roast Barley? If your Coopers starter is nice and healthy you won't need sugar to end up in the FG range you want.

Just one more pointer; Carared and Caramalt are both pretty light crystals, and in my experience Carared doesn't really do much in the way of redness. Caraaroma however! So perhaps 90% Ale, 5% Carared or Caramalt, 4% Caraaroma and 1% Roast Barley? If your Coopers starter is nice and healthy you won't need sugar to end up in the FG range you want.
+1

Here's one I did a couple of years back and was well received by all who tried it.

Australain Red Ale

40.1% Ale Malt
40.1% Vienna Malt
6.4% Cara Red
0.8% Cara Aroma
8.0% Wheat Malt
3.2% Flaked Barley
1.3% Roast Barley

Superpride FWH 13.2 IBU
Superpride 45 min 10.8 IBU
N.Z. Willamette 20 min 6 IBU (but didn't feature at all, like it was totally missing)

OG 1.052
Recultured Coopers Yeast.

Cheers,

BB

Im not sure what difference there is between an Aussie Red and an Irish, but my standard platform for an irish red is 5-6% cararoma, 1-2 % roast to colour and the rest a good base (or may be up to 5% wheat if you want to thicken that head a little). I usually aim for mid 1050's OG and mid 20's IBUs if that makes sense. Ive used POR for this as well.

I agree that with others that there seems to much crystal and too many IBUs. Although halving the crystal and dropping the IBUs, which sounds better to me seems to bringing it back into Irish red territory and may be not the concept you'd like.

May be tell us how you'd like it to be different to an Irish and we can work from there

Latest posts

Back