Aussie Ale - Thoughts/advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btrots87

Reaction score
Hi guys, planning on brewing this in a few days and wanted to hear some other people's thoughts on the recipe. I'm calling it an Aussie Ale because I'm using Australian hops and yeast and I'm not real creative when it comes to names. Anyway, here's my recipe (extract):

20L batch
10L boil for 25min
ABV 5% IBU ~25

1.5kg light LME
1.5kg wheat DME
250g carapils steeped
1/2 a whirlfloc tablet @ 10 min
20g galaxy @ 20 min
20g galaxy @ 10 min
30g summer @ 10 min
30g summer dry hop for about 5-7 days
I'll add some polyclar during cold crashing to try and clear it a bit, with a large proportion of wheat I can expect a pretty cloudy beer can't I?

I've cultured some coopers yeast from a six pack of CPA up to a 2L starter and plan on using that to ferment with. Previous brews I've only ever used US05 at about 18C so I've never had any esters produced in my beers to speak of, not really sure what to expect with the coopers yeast. Should I still ferment at 18C or bump it up to about 20C?

Only if you want bananas! I try to keep the temp down, even as low as 16c to favour pear esters over banana. Still get a bit but it reduces over time I've found.

Thanks Camo,yeah I definitely don't want banana to overpower everything. As long as I get enough flavour out of the yeast to know I'm not using US05 then I'll be happy.

I'll give it a go at 16 or 17C and see how it turns out.

Any other thoughts on the recipe itself?

Looks fine to me but I'm no expert when it comes to recipe development and tend to go with whatever I can throw in sometimes.

Aside from keeping the Galaxy to late additions, which you've done, I can't lend much more advice. I pretty much jumped from kits and bits to AG so extracts/partials aren't my forte.

I reckon it'll turn out great and if it doesn't, send it to me and make it my problem!

Should be good. Galaxy is a favorite of mine in flavour additions to blonde ales. If that's Briess Wheat DME (now 65% wheat) you'll end up with wheat at about 30-35% of fermentables, and the Carapils is unneeded for head retention, if that's your aim.

At lower temperatures the fermentation with the recultured Coopers can take a fair while to attenuate, but don't worry it will get there in the end, especially as you have cultured up a fair whack.

The combination of the yeast esters and those hops should be excellent and make a refreshing change from POR all the way.

I don't subscribe to wheat necessarily giving a haze... here's one done on half-and-half BB Ale and BB Wheat (all grain).

lashes2.jpg

Looks good Bribie G, I've found 3068 can really drop the haze in the bottle.
I find Coopers reculturing a bit random. Many ways to step it up and treat it and I think the results can be inconsistent. I've done it at >20°C with no obvious banana dominance. It does add a lot to a beer though, a lot of good in my opinion. For me personally I'd be going at 18°C for 3 or so days then let it rise up to 22°C of its own accord. It tends to chew through very fast when healthy at those temps.

Bribie G said:
I don't subscribe to wheat necessarily giving a haze...
No. A lot of the haze in wheat beers is yeast related.

yankinoz said:
Should be good. Galaxy is a favorite of mine in flavour additions to blonde ales. If that's Briess Wheat DME (now 65% wheat) you'll end up with wheat at about 30-35% of fermentables, and the Carapils is unneeded for head retention, if that's your aim.
I've read a few things about carapils enhancing mouthfeel and giving more body to a beer. I've never used it so figured I'd throw it in as an experiment in this brew, later down the track I'll hopefully brew it again without the carapils and see the difference it makes (assuming it tastes any good the first time).

Bribie G said:
I don't subscribe to wheat necessarily giving a haze... here's one done on half-and-half BB Ale and BB Wheat (all grain).
lashes2.jpg
That's good to know, I've been brewing some very hazy beers lately and it's something I've been trying to fix, hence the whirlfloc and polyclar.

Okay, apologies for the incorrect terminology.

Sorry p&c but I'm not with you. Haze refers to particulate matter causing obscurity (usually referring to an atmospheric phenomenon) - in liquid and particularly beer, various particles in suspension, including yeast can cause haze.

https://www.google.com.au/#q=haze+in+beer

This is a pdf, hopefully you can get there with above link. It states that yeasts can cause hazes to develop due to their action; the hazes not being yeast particles as such but a result of polyphenols etc produced by them. Thus they are yeast related, as Indica wrote, not necessarily the yeast cells themselves.

ed: Bribie G settles down with a flask of coffee in a comfortable chair.

There is nothing there that says yeast cloudiness is referred to as haze
No, haze specifically refers to polyphenols. It is a precise term used in brewing.
I'm confident you have good sources as I've seen at least a fraction of your library. I was under the impression there were various factors (of which polyphenols is a main but not exclusive) and there were divisions between biological (including yeast) and non biological and permanent and temporary.

Back